Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptainBrazilia

Duct Tape Virtuoso Deluxe
I'm in the process of putting together my application to the finest airline in the world. Upon soliciting letters of recommendation from several people, I've been asked who these should be addressed to.

"To Whom it May Concern," seems quite sterile and unfriendly, ya know?

Does anyone have any information or thoughts about who these letters of recommendation should be addressed to?

Thanks in advance...

GC

"To Whom It May Concern" worked just fine for me. The 3 letters you send in with your stuff to the people dept are to be from pilots you've flown with over the course of your career who can attest to your flying skills and character. As to who specifically reads them, well, it could be several folks. I would look at it this way, the content of the letter is more important than the actual salutation. It is, afterall, a business letter. Tell your friends to be sure to include a line(s) as to why he/she thinks you'd fit in well at SWA. You have the flying credentials to apply. They know you're good to go with that. What they really want to know is what you're like as a person, and if you'll fit in well at SWA.

What is more important, however, is a letter(s) from a SWA pilot(s) written to his/her Chief Pilot that will be in your file during the review board meeting when the group of chief pilots meet to discuss each candidate who has been recommended from the interview process. These letters, I'm told, carry a lot more weight, especially if that pilot really goes to bat for you with a personal delivery of his/her letter for you. In this case, I'm sure the proper saluation might be to the respective chief pilot.

I hope this helps. Good luck in the process.

I don't think the salutation is all that important, either. However, I did spend a little time trying to figure out what to use.

Some of my letters were addressed to "The Southwest Airlines Pilot Decision Board", and then a friend at SWA told me that I could have them addressed to Jennifer Bauer (the employment coordinator). I had letters on file with both salutations.

Just about anything within reason should be fine.

All of my rec letters were addressed to Cindy Hamilton (I know...I'm dating myself) who was replaced by Jennifer Bauer. That should be fine for you. Good luck!

Great info! Thanks for the replies!

Salutation

You can do any of the above or you can address the letter as follows to any of the below mentioned bodies:

Mr. Greg Crum
Vice-President of Flight Operations

Mr. Ken Gile
Director, Flight Operations

Mr. Sonny Childers
Senior Chief Pilot

Mr. Dave Edens
HDQ, Chief Pilot

The formal address for SWA HDQTs is below also.

Southwest Airlines Headquarters
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235-1611

Obviously you don't need all the address stuff too but that is just for everyone's info. A variety of folks sits on the DB, not all of these guys but a letter addressed to any of them serves the purpose. Hope that helps,

Latest resources

Back