• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amongst all this crap on here this is very good post. Lot's of very interesting, non airline jobs and resulting lifestyles out there. And plenty of Airline Pilots whose life is a train wreck. Nothing wrong with a good airline job and nothing wrong with plenty of other gigs out there. No doubt the best job is probably some cushy corporate job out there.
The worst are the pilots that think their airline is the best, everyone should be applying to their airline, etc. etc. Almost as bad is the wankers that, like you said, get wrapped up in "2% here vs. 2.3% there".
The happiest, most successful pilots out there enjoy flying airplanes to fund a nice life that doesn't have one's identity wrapped up in who they fly for.
Totally agree with this. If someone is driven by a real love of aviation, not just a love of a good job, there are many other options out there besides major/legacy flying.

The only caveat I would add however is that I've yet to hear about the non-121 flying gig that offers as much time off, and by that I mean time off that requires no thought whatsoever to anything related to the company you work for, or that doesn't require you to do a lot of non-flying BS in support of your position.

Of course, at the airlines there are the guys who create all of that BS for themselves by climbing ladders in the training dept or chief pilot's office or other management type thing. I'm glad there are folks who enjoy that since I don't. One of the major reasons I got into this was so I wouldn't have to sit in an office 40+ hours a week dealing with a boss. Even AirCobra admitted that he doesn't like the extra paperwork compared to an airline job..

Totally agree with this. If someone is driven by a real love of aviation, not just a love of a good job, there are many other options out there besides major/legacy flying.

The only caveat I would add however is that I've yet to hear about the non-121 flying gig that offers as much time off, and by that I mean time off that requires no thought whatsoever to anything related to the company you work for, or that doesn't require you to do a lot of non-flying BS in support of your position.

Of course, at the airlines there are the guys who create all of that BS for themselves by climbing ladders in the training dept or chief pilot's office or other management type thing. I'm glad there are folks who enjoy that since I don't. One of the major reasons I got into this was so I wouldn't have to sit in an office 40+ hours a week dealing with a boss. Even AirCobra admitted that he doesn't like the extra paperwork compared to an airline job..
You need to network more, then. Many, many, many corporate flight departments fly very very weekends or Holidays. I know quite a few -91 guys who are in their own beds 24-25 nights a month and have all major holidays off. How many 121 guys can say the same? Of those who can, how many years after being hired at a major can they claim the same? I know many 121 major guys who are in their 40s who can't get thanksgiving and Xmas off. One thing to get them off have them off with little kids at home, quite another to have them off when the house is empty.

I could have sworn this was once a thread about a plane that landed at the wrong airport.

I had one of those great corporate gigs. Then China and India drastically undercut the industry and away went the corporations I flew for. Went from 5 planes to one to none. Great group of guys to fly and we had a blast. But that's business. We don't make much in this country anymore.

And that's coming to 121 aviation. Watch Norwegian Air get approval to do international to the US. They use foreign crews from Thailand, offshore tax loopholes and rules. Once they start, an all new drag out fight for international flying will begin.

And that's coming to 121 aviation. Watch Norwegian Air get approval to do international to the US. They use foreign crews from Thailand, offshore tax loopholes and rules. Once they start, an all new drag out fight for international flying will begin.

Every time I think our industry is starting to stabilize there is something new, like this! I always er on the optimistic side so.....I like to think that the foreign airlines are offering some pretty good incentives and hopefully will have to pay a premium to get pilots in the future and US carriers will also have to compete for pilots. I know I know, but I gotta throw something positive out there.
I see were Norwegian is going to have pilots based in the US, anyone know what they are paying?

With all due respect Slaquer it sounds to me like he has got it figured out and you may be the one wearing SWA warrior spirit t-shirts on you days off?

I was flying Lears at 21 yrs old . Right out of college .

It was considered a good corporate job.

Corporate sucks .

Dan .
SWA has not given shirts away for many many years . :)

Now Dan continue your SWA bashing .

Unfortunately things like this Norwegian Air deal and the Abu Dhabi C&BP pre clearance facility become harder to ward off in the face of US favoritism toward SWA. It's no less unfair *trade* practices to allow SWA their own FIS than these other things. I'm afraid that when the routes SWA expects to get are made official, some other area of US international airline presence (more than likely legacy oriented) will have to be forfeited. Not trying to send the SWA guys into hissy fit mode necessarily, this is why we are losing on these issues.

You need to network more, then. Many, many, many corporate flight departments fly very very weekends or Holidays. I know quite a few -91 guys who are in their own beds 24-25 nights a month and have all major holidays off. How many 121 guys can say the same? Of those who can, how many years after being hired at a major can they claim the same? I know many 121 major guys who are in their 40s who can't get thanksgiving and Xmas off. One thing to get them off have them off with little kids at home, quite another to have them off when the house is empty.
No matter what the thread, you just can't ever seem to even come close on reading comprehension.

I never said a word about weekends and holidays. I said total days off PLUS the lack of ANY duty of ANY kind when outside of the cockpit. Most folks I know at the majors average 18 days off a month. In all of my "networking" I've yet to meet the corporate pilot who can say the same. And back in the day when I did fly weekends and holidays and found myself in warm, tropical locations, especially on holidays, there seemed to be a large number of corporate a/c sitting at the FBO's. And I don't think they were based there. And sleeping in your own bed at night? I've flown high value 1 day turns with guys who don't do anything else. One told me he hasn't done a layover in over 10 years. Your friends in their 40's who can't get xmas off? How old were they when they got hired? Could they be more senior in another airplane/seat/base? Lots of choices folks can make at your average 121 gig. Not so much in corporate IMO.

But I'm just correcting your BS juan......my original point is still valid....there are lots of options besides 121 flying for people that love aviation.

Good luck with your "networking"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back