Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Lance Captains (seat swapping pilots)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, the Captains that are giving away trips that they don't want also benefit by having another outlet to do so. For every Lance that bypasses a Capt slot, the guy junior to him gets it. Etc.

Unless the one line that you'd fly without modification (yeah, right) is always taken by a Lance, there is very little downside IMHO.

The real issue is that we aren't allowed to drop trips.

SWABubba volunteered to sit right sit the other day to "help out". The only thing he helped out though was the Nathan's hot dog stand where he bought those 3 hot dogs with extra mustard.

It was interesting how the senior CA's bitched about the Lance program before the last contract.

Contract passed and Lances are limited to only 9 duty periods as CA. The senior CA's started bitching immediately that their trips weren't being picked up. I wonder why? Sometimes folks are completely clueless to how the system works. Exhibit A folks.

The Lance program greases the wheels of flexibility. The senior CA's get there trips picked up, and I grab sweet turns from those Lances. Flexibility changes dramatically if it goes away. And it sounds like the union is going to let that happen. Hope they field the calls from the senior CA's when they are stuck with their trips.

Not sure in benefits the company. Sounds like it creates more havoc and costs. Sounds like it benefits the pilots tremendously.

Not sure in benefits the company. Sounds like it creates more havoc and costs. Sounds like it benefits the pilots tremendously.

Every former AirTran Captain was a Lance Captain by default (we were all Right seat qualified). The only difference was the Captains bid Captain lines and vacation. Then if they wanted to, they could pick up FO trips. But every Captain was right seat qualified. The Lance program at SWA just limits the number of pilots qualified to fly both seats. Get rid of the Lance program and you better believe you will see right seat dependent tasks in your next Captain check ride.

Just be quiet and help the company. Heck go pass out some peanuts like the jumpseater clown yesterday going to DAL. He was glad handing and hob-nobbing with the pax. Kid next to me asked why was the pilot handing out snacks? Oh I wanted to tell him what I really thought but kept quiet.

Every former AirTran Captain was a Lance Captain by default (we were all Right seat qualified). The only difference was the Captains bid Captain lines and vacation. Then if they wanted to, they could pick up FO trips. But every Captain was right seat qualified. The Lance program at SWA just limits the number of pilots qualified to fly both seats. Get rid of the Lance program and you better believe you will see right seat dependent tasks in your next Captain check ride.

I think you're mistaken here. No captain, other than a lance or a check airman, is allowed to fly from the right seat. The company wants to get rid of lances to further minimize the seat swapping allowed, because they believe it is a liability for them, especially from the standpoint that is the most junior captains trying to maintain currency in both seats.

If the company is successful in eliminating the lance program, there's no way they'd then allow a "reverse lance" program of having captains flying from the right seat. It would have the exact same liability they're trying to avoid now, plus they'd be paying two captain rates, instead of a captain and an F/O rate. I suspect you only see this at carriers with smaller total numbers of pilots, because they have no other choice for flexibility to man their schedules.

Bubba

Wait. I thought SWApA wanted LC eliminated. The LC restrictions in this contract were touted as one of the many SWApA "gains" that our crack "negotiators" were able to wrest from the clutches of the company. No wonder the current " negotiations'" are taking so long. GK is still reeling from the shellacking we gave him last time!

I think you're mistaken here. No captain, other than a lance or a check airman, is allowed to fly from the right seat. The company wants to get rid of lances to further minimize the seat swapping allowed, because they believe it is a liability for them, especially from the standpoint that is the most junior captains trying to maintain currency in both seats.

If the company is successful in eliminating the lance program, there's no way they'd then allow a "reverse lance" program of having captains flying from the right seat. It would have the exact same liability they're trying to avoid now, plus they'd be paying two captain rates, instead of a captain and an F/O rate. I suspect you only see this at carriers with smaller total numbers of pilots, because they have no other choice for flexibility to man their schedules.

Bubba

You may be right. But I believe if the company is successful at getting rid of the lance program it will have unintended consequences. The result will be Captains who fly from the right seat. There is no liability issue. Both pilots are PIC qualified for the airplane. From a training standpoint, it's 5 minutes of slides and oral questions, right seat landing and "pulling" the alt gear extension cables. Voila. You are good to go. I understand under the current system only check airman and Lances can fly both seats. My point is, I think the company will jump on the two seats for the price of one flexibility, and claim the absence of the lance program was the result. As I see it, it's just economy of force.

I'm confused about your comment about smaller carriers? Seems like the same logic still applies at SWA, as the historically run lean on pilots and reserves. Evident by the high number of JA's this summer.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back