Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Lance Captains (seat swapping pilots)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kharma Police

Don't mess with Texas
Just curious if other airlines have, "switch hitter" pilots that can go from Captain to FO and vice versa from trip to trip. I personally think the program is kinda silly and only benefits a few pilots despite being told otherwise.

It was interesting how the senior CA's bitched about the Lance program before the last contract.

Contract passed and Lances are limited to only 9 duty periods as CA. The senior CA's started bitching immediately that their trips weren't being picked up. I wonder why? Sometimes folks are completely clueless to how the system works. Exhibit A folks.

The Lance program greases the wheels of flexibility. The senior CA's get there trips picked up, and I grab sweet turns from those Lances. Flexibility changes dramatically if it goes away. And it sounds like the union is going to let that happen. Hope they field the calls from the senior CA's when they are stuck with their trips.

Just curious if other airlines have, "switch hitter" pilots that can go from Captain to FO and vice versa from trip to trip. I personally think the program is kinda silly and only benefits a few pilots despite being told otherwise.

Our check airman can I am guessing ur talking about something else

At swa, the top 3.2% FO's of each base can bid to be captain qualified. They still bid as FO's but can then pick up to 9 days worth of captain trips. I believe the original intent was to give swa flexibility to have captains available on short notice if the schedule called for it on a monthly basis.

After the transition I bid my senior FO line and flew my trips Tu through Thur PM's. Focused on days off pay be damned. Picked up one charter in 2 years. Then I became a Lance and by default had to learn how the system works. You should notice that Lances are senior to the bottom reserve Captains. That's because it is better. You still get the days off and vacation time that you want. I never looked at Trip Trade Give Away (ever). That all changed. It forced me to see how trips are given away and picked through the 20 day bid adjustment (award to Elitt opening). A lance benefits by getting a better Captian trip at straight time than he/she could as a reserve (weekday). But that is what gets the ball rolling for the next twenty days as folks try to clear their boards to pick up open time. Especially important in the summer. Less senior FO's get the weekday FO trips that the Lances give away. Everyone benefits. During the slow months reserve blocks get picked up too. My only beef with the program is when I check a Lances board and they aren't flying any Capt trips. I try to hit my 9 days every month.

It was interesting how the senior CA's bitched about the Lance program before the last contract.

Contract passed and Lances are limited to only 9 duty periods as CA. The senior CA's started bitching immediately that their trips weren't being picked up. I wonder why? Sometimes folks are completely clueless to how the system works. Exhibit A folks.

The Lance program greases the wheels of flexibility. The senior CA's get there trips picked up, and I grab sweet turns from those Lances. Flexibility changes dramatically if it goes away. And it sounds like the union is going to let that happen. Hope they field the calls from the senior CA's when they are stuck with their trips.

Yup.......

FWIW, I haven't lanced in almost 15 years, and restricting the LCs in the last contract has killed a lot of flexibility. Especially when combined with the rest of the SWApA "gains" like Duties to Cover and Duty Count. The numerous SLs helped immensely too.

Last edited:
Then you have no clue about flexibility

Let me see if I can figure out this "flexibility" thing that I'm missing out on. A more senior part time FO takes a line that I would've liked to have (which he has no intention of flying). He dumps his trash into open time so after I've done the work of getting my board cleared, I have to spend time and patiently wait by my computer for him to try and get rid of his stuff in hopes of adding the trip which I would've liked to have flown in the first place? Sounds like the program benefits only the Lance Captain who wants it both ways and his FO buddies that he leaves the trips to.

Let me see if I can figure out this "flexibility" thing that I'm missing out on. A more senior part time FO takes a line that I would've liked to have (which he has no intention of flying). He dumps his trash into open time so after I've done the work of getting my board cleared, I have to spend time and patiently wait by my computer for him to try and get rid of his stuff in hopes of adding the trip which I would've liked to have flown in the first place? Sounds like the program benefits only the Lance Captain who wants it both ways and his FO buddies that he leaves the trips to.

Well, the Captains that are giving away trips that they don't want also benefit by having another outlet to do so. For every Lance that bypasses a Capt slot, the guy junior to him gets it. Etc.

Unless the one line that you'd fly without modification (yeah, right) is always taken by a Lance, there is very little downside IMHO.

Latest resources

Back