• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA June 7th class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another group to remember is the small number of guys and gals who were activated for military service with their Guard/Reserve units and who have been out taking care of business in a different style of aviation. Several are coming back, getting de-activated and returning to the SWA way of life. Don't know if they go through a full class or what, but some of the June & July classes may have them involved...

YeOldeProp,

The union paper had an article about that. The guys returning from service in the Reserves or Guard don't generally need the whole new hire training class. They requal fairly quickly, may get some IOE-training with a check airman, probably a sim check, and they're back out on the line. The article said that SWA is much, much quicker about getting guys back onto the line than many other carriers.

Newhire training is newhire training. I've heard of ONE pilot who was out on an extended medical who had to redo the whole thing (newhire FO training, then captain upgrade training, don't know if he did or what would be required to regain his check airman qualification), but otherwise the newhire classes are 24 new pilots. Sometimes plus two instructors, but they're in addition to, not in place of, newhires.

Anything's possible, but I don't see ANG/Reserve returnees going thru newhire training. Too much of it is stuff they already know and would only need a refresher on, far less time in the classroom & sim.

Cheers!

Anyone care to speculate how deep into March interview dates the next SWA class will dig into? Latest date I can decipher from the above posts was a 9 Mar interviewee.

Anyone care to speculate how deep into March interview dates the next SWA class will dig into?

I'll speculate. Looks like 50% is a decent number for guess sakes. So you figure 12 people interview per day and 6 get hired. 24 people per class. My guess is the second June class will cover all folks up through the March 14-15 interviews.

UPDATED GUESS- chase points out something I had overlooked. I will change my guess and say the second June class will be filled with people through March 19 interviews. (this allows for some that are not available yet)

Last edited:
Maybe a false assumption?

The assumption the previous poster is working off of is that
all folks who interviewed the first week or anytime in Mar were eligible to come to work at SWA immediately. While that maybe true, I would find it odd that everyone met this criteria. Certainly the selection process for some of the early interviewees was based on their immediate availablity due the fact the PD knew they would need folks from this group to start filling classes in June...it has come to pass that way but there maybe others in that group who couldn't come to SWA for several months exceeding the June timeframe for a variety of reasons.

Sit patiently, visit some of the other SWA websites to get a good handle on things there:

www.ifly737.com
www.bwipilotbase.com
substitute the various bases with BWI & type in the rest & you'll be able to visit the other bases in the SWA system. Not all portions are available for the non-SWA folks but there is some...enjoy
www.southwest.com go to investor relations or media relations to learn more

Read the book NUTS if you haven't already, The Southwest Airlines Way is a good book to peruseThe Southwest Airlines Way
and the Southwest Passage by Lamar Muse Southwest Passage which is an interesting read (different some would say!) in the early years of SWA before Muse miscalculated in was removed from his leadership position in SWA

Congrats to you all & good luck. Hope to see you on the line through Dallas soon. Cheers

Latest resources

Back