SWA July 15th Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chief Pilot Says?

Okay, no more depressing news on this string. Pegasus, upbeat is good and we appreciate it.

A friend of mine was commuting with a Chief Pilot the other day from SAT to HOU. According to the CP there will be one class in July and 2 in August. That is firm in his words. He didn't mention Sep, but neither did he rule it out (as well as the rest of the year).
Rumors from the training dept (not hiring) are from 6 classes to 200 new hires this year. Anyway, keep up the faith.

Slug

wrinkled beyond recognition

Don't Shoot!

pegasus and Slug,

Yep, I wasn't too enthused at the news, either, because I've been in limbo for about a year. I've read and heard about other classes this year in addition to the July 15th class. Based on these rumors, I took a WAG (wild a$$ guess) last week at a terminal leave date and retirement date. Being able to project that is definitely an improved position now that Stop Loss is over for most people. If I read the AFPC message correctly, I have the option of retiring anytime between July 1 and December 31 with little notice since I was on terminal leave last September. I appreciate any thoughts on this. On another note...to the warriors still on Stop Loss...keep the faith and stay the course. Fly safe.

:cool:

2 cents

For what it is worth-

I was in a similiar situation post Sep 11 and either had to gamble on an out date and go terminal, or essentially walk from the Navy to SWA with as little notice as I could get away with. I decided to forgo the terminal leave and suck it up. While the time off would have been nice, I didn't feel that it was worth the price... so I got 4 days off between detatching and starting class, but was on terminal pay the first two months at SWA. (Plus it is better, pay-wise, to NOT sell back leave, as then you only get base pay and not the entitlements. I think. This is all fading fast....)

On the other hand, if you are retiring, it is a different story, I suppose.

Please also keep in mind that the typical pattern from SWA is to project pessimism and generally exceed expectations. I'm sure you know this, and waiting sucks, but it will happen.

Good luck

Hmmmm...

Umm... good question. Glad you asked. Since I have no idea, any other questions?

In the Navy, I was able to give my actual out date, and then pretty much go terminal on a day's notice (it would have cost, and did cost, a bottle of Scotch to the Admin pukes). Since I had 90 days leave, that gave me some wiggle-room.

I have no idea what would have happened if I tried to move the FINAL date... I think that as long as it was in the month window that the seperation was approved for I would have been golden. Anything else would have been difficult at best.

Sentry,
For what it's worth, once my stop-loss waiver came through, I took the first available retirement date. I was hopefull to spend my terminal leave working for SWA. As it turns out, I'll be retired by two weeks before I start. Not bad since I really had no idea when I would get the call. But I left active duty ASAP for two reasons; 1)attend to personal family matters, and 2) insure I'm available for any possible call. The first reason carried most of the weight behind my decision. But after spending a month "taking care of business", I began wondering what I would do for an income after the terminal leave ended. It's a tough call, but my advise would be make yourself available as soon as you possibly can while trying to time that date with the earliest possible call up. If you think there will be three, four, or five classes called up before they get to you, then I'd take a shot at guessing when that fourth class would start and be available for it. One or two classes, be available now. If it's more than five classes, take the 31 Dec retirement date and start your terminal leave in Oct. At least that way, you'll have an income for several months and time to plan contingency options if the wait is much longer. Good luck. I share your concerns. But rest assured, the day will eventually arrive.

Thanks!

ATKTK,

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted to see if there was another viewpoint. With J.B.'s comments from our conversation this past Friday, I don't see getting a class before September 1, no matter how optimistic I view things. I put in for a September 1 terminal leave start date and a November 1 reitrement date. It's a guessing game right now, and hopefully won't require any extensions. Best wishes and hope to meet you in Dallas soon. Fly safe.

:cool:

Wildman, ATKT, Boots, and RMI Congratulations. It's been a long time coming and I am pretty darn jealous!!! Can't wait to join you guys.

Anybody Else????

OAK:D

Latest resources

Back