Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarylandONE

Low-cost carriers flock to the Caribbean

AirTran Airways announced today it will begin flying to Cancun, Mexico, this December with daily nonstop service from Atlanta. The beach resort will be the airline's first Mexican destination, but the addition comes as other low-cost carriers also ramp up flights to the Caribbean. Spirit Airlines will begin service to Jamaica in November, the same time that it also adds more flights and new nonstop routes to its destinations of Cancun and Nassau in the Bahamas. JetBlue is adding new routes to Puerto Rico, while Frontier Airlines is increasing flights to Mexico from several U.S. cities. What's behind the craze? As low-cost carriers (LCCs) continue to grow in the USA, there are fewer markets left where those airlines can add new service without bumping into each other. International routes, however, are a different story. So far, the LCCs have avoided most Canadian and overseas routes. But, flying to the Caribbean appeals to leisure travelers, and gives the LCCs an opportunity to use their lower cost structures to try and undercut traditional rivals on those routes. Expect this trend to continue.

Mary,

When you started to work for SWA, did you know it was USA only flying???

It will take at least a year for SWA to start international flying. (certification, training, software, i.e. a plan), but they can start tomorrow with their codeshare. Yes, it will be cumbersome at first since no one, or very few, at SWA knows how to handle int'l ops, but they don't make up for a system not set up to operate out of the continental US.

And I thought this thread was about how SWA had yet to call me for an interview...

Last edited:
MarylandONE said:
Low-cost carriers flock to the Caribbean

AirTran Airways announced today it will begin flying to Cancun, Mexico, this December with daily nonstop service from Atlanta. The beach resort will be the airline's first Mexican destination, but the addition comes as other low-cost carriers also ramp up flights to the Caribbean. Spirit Airlines will begin service to Jamaica in November, the same time that it also adds more flights and new nonstop routes to its destinations of Cancun and Nassau in the Bahamas. JetBlue is adding new routes to Puerto Rico, while Frontier Airlines is increasing flights to Mexico from several U.S. cities. What's behind the craze? As low-cost carriers (LCCs) continue to grow in the USA, there are fewer markets left where those airlines can add new service without bumping into each other. International routes, however, are a different story. So far, the LCCs have avoided most Canadian and overseas routes. But, flying to the Caribbean appeals to leisure travelers, and gives the LCCs an opportunity to use their lower cost structures to try and undercut traditional rivals on those routes. Expect this trend to continue.

I dont think you work here.

I think it is time to kill foreign carriers business in USA

borrowing the politician robertson,who wanted venezuelan leader to be killed! Maybe it is time for LCC to go after foreign carriers like Air Jamaica, Mexicana, etc....

that would also improve USA foreign politics, or maybe not!

Yes, it will be cumbersome at first since no one, or very few, at SWA knows how to handle int'l ops,

I imagine we have whole departments looking into the idea, and a can assure you that if there is good money to be made we will go south and do it better than anyone else ever has. Don't worry to much about our ability to "handle intl ops."

we will go south and do it better than anyone else ever has

So there!!! Now that is a love filled response. I am four feet from my computer and I feel the love, can't you? If you are cute, feel it again.

We'll won't fly overseas (on our own A/C) for at least 5 years, if not much longer. It ain't in the business plan for now. International ops has higher revenue, but then it will also incur higher costs, especially in the short run. More training, rafts (depending on distance), and it don't fit our plans. The plan is to conquer the US first, which we haven't done yet. Close, but no cigar. And just because something is a good idea, doesn't make it smart. There are a million good ideas and destinations out there. Geez honey, I spent $1000 on clothes today, because at 50% off it was too sweet to pass up. Get the picture.

Latest resources

Back