SWA interviews: Good news!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
June of what year?

The only thing the Captain didn't specify was June of which year. Perhaps he meant June of 2004! That seems to be more likely.

I'm familiar with the WIA scholarships that SWA sponsors...those interviews are in the February-March timeframe, right before the WIA conference. So, do you mean interviews for the scholarship recipients?

AF757's post

That would be good news for everyone, but I read AF757's post from today, and it has a differrent vibe to it.

Paste.....

A fellow SWA Poolie e-mailed me these comments today.....

"talked with LL yesterday, and she said that there are no more classes scheduled this year, and that they have fullfilled their projection of 140 new hires this year...subject to change. She said that in her opinion they wouldn't hire anymore this year unless they exercised some options for more aircraft."

I hate to post this, as it sure took some wind out of my sails. I guess the "subject to change" is a catch all phrase, but these comments sure seem to have a negative flavor to me. Anybody else have any intel?

AF (ex)

Rollercoaster ride is right! Or is it rumorcoaster?

Aplus9

Last edited:
Rumor?

Rollercoaster ride is right! Or is it rumorcoaster?

Aplus9: While I agree that a portion of what gets posted on these boards is rumor, the info from LL is straight from the company. I'm sure she is not making staffing decissions, and therfore not always in the know, but atleast the info she does give can be taken as factual. It certainly isn't the news that I wanted to hear, but I feel better informed as to what is going on. She did say that they still have plans for a lot of hiring in 2004.

Swimmer

Just talked to LL

Well as always a pleasure to talk with the voice from LUV. Anyhow. Here is the Gist....

Maybe a couple more classes this year maybe

About 200 more in the pool (she did say 200)

Thinks they will begin to gear up for interviews again 1st quarter 2004 (this could be anytime from Jan to Mar.

Starting to gear up and actually interviewing are two different things in my estimation, but as always, she is telling us the truth as it is when we talk to her. She is NOT lying, but occasionaly the truth changes .... sometimes very rappidly!

Good luck and I'll see you in Texas someday!!

Interviews info (my educated guess)

Hey guys whoa....on the interview thoughts for this year. I have watched this thread & others take on a life of its own I would recommend reviewing the bidding.

1. 200 + folks in the pool to be trained
2. Economic times STILL tough, company watching money closely. Getting better but slowly.
3. Starting up the "interview process" isn't the same as starting up interviewing. The process can mean lots of things but it certainly takes awhile (many months) to get things in place to consider interviewing live bodies (vs. dead ones) anytime soon.
4. Many sources have told me to include the PD & others interviews will most likely not start again until 1Q'04. Others sources will state earlier dates but banking on it isn't the smart bet. Go with the consistent story that most of us have heard. You certainly won't be disappointed, only pleased if things happen sooner.

Continue to be hopeful & optimistic but don't bet the farm on interviews this year. Things may change & I hope that they do but I would plan on more definite things in life like spending time with family, friends, collecting more flying time & keeping a good/safe flying/personal record going.

Not trying to throw sand in anyone's face & if any of my posts have added to a "near term" mentality of interviews vs. "long term" mentality, then my apologies. Interviews will occur but just not within the next 6-7 months IMHO. Things could change & we all hope they do, particularly those awaiting interviews....good luck!

BTW, here is the news release from SWA on new routes & additional flights being added this fall from the shareholders meeting this AM in DAL.

Getting Lucky Just Got Easier on Southwest Airlines

DALLAS, May 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) will add four brand new nonstop flights this fall, and to sweeten the deal, Southwest also will improve service in its existing markets by adding 15 additional daily nonstop flights to various key cities.

"Southwest is showing all of our Customers how to see more places via our many nonstop flights," said Joyce Rogge, Southwest's senior vice president marketing. "Southwest is constantly looking for new ways to provide more choices and more frequency for our Customers in the 59 airports we serve."

Southwest's brand new nonstop service will begin as follows:

Beginning September 10, 2003 Southwest will add the following new nonstop roundtrip service:

-- Between Las Vegas and Manchester, N.H.
-- Between Las Vegas and Hartford, Conn.
-- Between Las Vegas and Detroit (Saturday only).

Beginning October 5, 2003, Southwest will add the following new nonstop roundtrip service:

-- Between Las Vegas and Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

Southwest is introducing the new nonstop service between Las Vegas and Manchester, NH, and between Las Vegas and Hartford, Conn., with a fare of $99 each way. The fare is on sale now until Sept. 10, 2003, for travel from Sept. 10, 2003, through Oct. 24, 2003. Southwest is introducing the new nonstop service between Las Vegas and Raleigh-Durham, N.C., with a fare of $99 each way. The fare is on sale now until Oct. 5, 2003, for travel from Oct. 5, 2003, through Oct. 24, 2003. Southwest is introducing the new nonstop service between Las Vegas and Detroit with a fare of $99 each way. The fare is on sale now until Sept. 10, 2003, for travel from Sept. 13, 2003, through Oct. 24, 2003. The fares are available only on new nonstop flights and require roundtrip purchase with an overnight stay (any night). Tickets must be purchased at least 7 days before departure and within one day of making reservations.*

But wait, there's more! Southwest Airlines is continuing to connect the dots between key cities with the addition of service in several markets.

Beginning August 10, 2003, Southwest will add the following additional daily nonstop service:

-- Between Orange County and Las Vegas (for a total of three a day).
-- Between Orange County and Phoenix (for a total of six a day).
-- Two daily nonstop flights between Orange County and Sacramento (for a
total of seven a day).

Beginning September 10, 2003, Southwest will add the following additional daily nonstop service:

-- Two daily nonstop flights between Las Vegas and Reno (for a total of
12 a day).
-- Two daily nonstop flights between Las Vegas and Chicago Midway (for a
total of seven a day).
-- Between San Diego and Chicago Midway (for a total of four a day).
-- Between San Diego and Sacramento (for a total of 13 a day).
-- Between Las Vegas and Tucson (for at total of four a day).
-- Between Islip/Long Island and Nashville (for a total of three a day).

Beginning October 5, 2003, Southwest will add the following additional daily nonstop service:

-- Between Baltimore/Washington and Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (for a total of
six a day).
-- Between Baltimore/Washington and Manchester, NH (for a total of 11 a
day).
-- Between Baltimore/Washington and San Diego (for a total of two a day).

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back