• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA interview prep.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that having your friend (who works at Southwest) prep you (for free) is enough.

Resume Writer said:
Didn't Judy work only at American Airlines? I think the better choice would be either Craig, Albie or Terri (who used to work in the People Department) for SWA prep. Just my opinion, but I would rather prep with someone who has indepth knowledge of the process.

Kathy

I stand corrected...

I talked with some other folks in the industry and inquired about Judy Tarver. Apparently she has QUITE a long background in pilot hiring and consulting with numerous airlines, in addition to having worked at American Airlines. It is also my understanding that she works pretty closely with the People Dept. at SWA, so she has a good working knowledge of their process, as does Craig, Albie and Terri. So, I would add her to my thumbs up list as well for anyone who wants to prep with her.

I apologize for my misinformation about thinking she had only worked at AA.

Kathy

Judy Tarver

I did an interview prep with Judy. She was great and it helped me tremendously. Got the SWA "continue the process" call in April.

Rob Beeks does a great SWA interview prep. He is on this forum -- do a search. He flies for SWA, also. I used him, and highly recommend his service.

Good luck.

Re: Rob Beeks

Rob no longer does prep. He made a personal decision to withdraw from this and is doing well in his new job as Capt with Southwest. Rob set the standard for all folks and has helped literally hundreds of folks in acquiring a position at SWA. He is to be commended for his efforts in finding the right folks for SWA.

Just wanted to set the record straight since his phone number may still be out there somewhere and to minimize folks looking in the wrong direction.

I stand corrected. Thanks Chase.

Rob did do a great job for me, and I hope that anyone providing the service now will meet his high standards.

Do you think Rob is one of the guys who got the unofficial tap on the shoulder and told, "you are F'n up the rotation, quit coaching these guys"?

My money is on that being the case. They are tired of hiring duds that have been coached. Or so I'm told.

Maybe...

Or it could be that doing the math the TRIP pay is worth more than the 150-300 per session he was getting.

Working with folks, especially on the phone, can be both mentally exhausting and time intensive. Picking up an extra trip here or there might have just made more economic sense.

RB helped a lot of good folks....

BN

To answer your question simply, no. For personal reasons Rob elected to spend his time doing other things. To the best of my knowledge Rob had & still maintains very professional relations with Southwest Airlines and always had.

Southwest Airlines does not endorse or encourage interview prep in order to be selected just as it doesn't say that having a type will insure you get a job offer either. They simply state what the minimums are and allow the individuals applying to determine what is in their best interest to do in order to prepare.

"Interview prep" can take a lot of forms, "flyforfood" gouge, asking one's SWA buddies, reading this board & others, subscribing to the various organizations that provide input, paid interview prep, chat with your wife/friends about your flying career or walk in cold & shoot from the hip.

I honestly believe that regardless of what method you use, your true personality isn't going to be so watered down or covered up by whatever method you use that the "real you" won't come out during the long run. Think about it, you're about to enter into a process you maybe unfamiliar with, you're interviewing for what could be the last job you ever have, it is (arguably) the most important interview you've ever had, the question is why wouldn't you do some preparation? Everyone does. Whether you do it on your own, ask for other's help or pay someone to assist you, if you're confident in your knowledge & skills then good luck, you'll probably do OK. If however, you think you want a "2nd opinion" then by all means pursue the folks out there who do offer help and go into with an open mind....there are no guarantees when it comes to interview prep so don't expect miracles but it can & does help many folks.

As for those interviewers who say they can always tell when someone has had interview prep....well, they maybe able to tell with some but no one is 100%. If one is more focused on thinking about one's answers than listening to the questions and carrying on a casual conversation then one will come off as "over prepared" or stilted in my opinion. "he's been prepped!!". Yes you're right, those folks probably won't get the call back but I say for those folks to prep or not to prep isn't the problem as it is not having the ability to focus on the totality of the process and not coming across as oneself/genuine. Either the interviewers are impressed with "that" person or they aren't. It isn't a value judgement on either party if one isn't selected, it just wasn't meant to be on that day, oh well, move on, try again at the next available date or say goodbye to SWA, which sometimes is the best thing to do.

Sorry for ramble, too much tequila in prepping for the Buffet/Jackson/Strait concert later!!!

A special note, to those families who have suffered the ultimate loss by the loss of a loved one in the defense of our country our hearts/prayers go out to you as we stop, remember & give thanks for their sacrifice in order for all of us to live in this great country. God Bless America & our men & women who serve and to my fallen comrades & their families. Please remember them on this Memorial Day.

Re: Special Note

“A special note, to those families who have suffered the ultimate loss by the loss of a loved one in the defense of our country our hearts/prayers go out to you as we stop, remember & give thanks for their sacrifice in order for all of us to live in this great country. God Bless America & our men & women who serve and to my fallen comrades & their families. Please remember them on this Memorial Day.”

Couldn’t agree with you more!!!

On this forum, many of us are hoping to learn something that might help us to further our flying careers. Others are just checking out the latest rumors, gossiping, and staying in touch with their fellow aviators.

Meanwhile, our guys & gals in uniforms are hoping for another day without IED’s blowing up in their faces, praying for protection from shots being fired from nearby roofs, and hoping they might make it home very soon - in one piece.

I am not trying to sound negative, not at all, in fact I do have a point.

I have been corresponding with one of my buddies, LCC pilot, who’s now deployed in Iraq. I never thought emails could mean so much to myself or to my friend. He, and many others like him, is starving for a “sense of normal life,” at least that’s the term he’s using. He says emails from friends and family make him feel so much better, closer to home.

Therefore:

If you personally don’t know anyone who’s risking his or her life for you and I whether in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, or anywhere else, you can still write some encouraging words to a soldier and maybe brighten his or her day.
A while ago, I found this site http://www.keystonesoldiers.com (I am NOT affiliated with the service). There you can actually “adopt” a soldier, or even several of them, and write them an email every now and then. You may also send them a package if you so wish and there’s even a “wish” list on the most popular items.

This is just one of many, many websites out there, check ‘em all out and maybe you too can say hello & thank you to someone in fatigues? Thank you and may God Bless Them All!
Just my 1¢ J

Latest resources

Back