Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA internal news postponed until 10:00a.m.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was an article in a mexican publication that talked about Jetblue in negotiations and or looking into feeding into Toluca. The point of the article discussed that JB would feed into Toluca and serve a few other destinations,,, Cabo,,, GIJ etc in cooperation with one of the carriers down there.

From there options for mexico, and central america would be avilable.

Guess SWA beat us to the punch but I personally would not be happy having other airlines feed us on routes that we could fly ourselves.

Why dont you guys just buy JB and use our premium product to grow internationally instead of messing around with these taco codeshares? At least you know what you would be getting.

Of course you guys would get stapled to the bottom our our list !!!!

TC-

Our last contract was years ago. We have hired thousands of pilots that have seen different mgmnt styles. I hope the old days of guys just "falling in line" because they believe mgmnt will do "the right thing" are gone. With HK retirement, we have entered into a new chapter here at SWA and I hope the pilots realize that this chapter has yet to be written....and we can have a hand in what goes into it. Thx.

-M

I agree with your post. But, if we continue the increase of the US vs. THEM mentality, it will harm all of us. Carl and others want us all wrapped around the axel regarding every issue with the company. We are writing a new chapter in this company. But with 87 FOM revisions for the "space age" auto-breaks, dont you think that we pilots dont know everything?

Whataburger- certainly did not mean to offend... I am thinking for myself. It does not take much to see the effects of this based upon the history of other carriers and the emergence of the RJ feeders. If that is not good enough for you, read Hard Landing.Great book. Read it twice. Do I think we could go to Mex or Can tomorrow? No, but could we do so in the next couple years? You bet! What kind of aircraft does Westjet fly again? For the record, I do NOT believe that I can run an airline better than GK, but doesn't he always ask for feedback and interaction with the employees, and take suggestions? He himself would tell you he is not perfect... I think you kid yourself if you think he has our interests first-at-hand! Herb is NOT running things anymore, and while GK is very smart, he is a different sort of person with a different mentality. Agree. Wouldn't it be a novel concept if we were the first pilot group in a long time to put a stop to this slippery slide of job outsourcing? We could, but it will take us all doing it TOGETHER, STAYING UNTIED, and voting no IF there are trouble spots in this TA or GK wants to renegotiate the scope/codeshare TA...

I think that you are an FO trueif I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong), if you think this does not effect our progression then think again. It does. If we are not careful, through the codeshare and southwest.com we are going to facilitate Westjet's 15% predicted growth rate, while ours is what again?!? 3-6 maby. Are you willing to delay your upgrade so that the Canucks can upgrade in 4 years? Sure, I dont need a 4 stripe to define my postion in the world. WN got it right, this is outsourcing of our jobs and it does not take chatter around the crew room to come up with that on your own. Volaris is just the second example of this, and it needs to either stop or we need to hold the company to growing at 5% average annually which it will not if you include the projected #'s for 2009. I live 10 mins from my base most us are jealous about this fact. so I do not spend much time in the crew room anyway. Btw, do you bother to think for yourself or are you regergitating the employee news section of SWA Life or LUVLines between sips of koolaid? Unnecessary. Company loyalty is good, but BLIND loyalty is very dangerous. Agree 110%. Respectfully, klr

One way or another I hope we repeat history by blazing our own train, our way, and coming out victorious. All 6000 of us will win.

One way or another I hope we repeat history by blazing our own train, our way, and coming out victorious. All 6000 of us will win.
I sure as heck hope so. You are right, my last comment was a cheap shot spurred on by some pretty strong feelings on the subject. I offer you my apology for that.

The scary part here is that this discussion has EVERYTHING (in my opinion) to do with defining ourselves in the outside world. It has NOTHING to do with seat position. Most of my firends at church have no idea aside from working for Southwest what I do here. What I am getting at is that when we lose the progression, seniority, delayed upgrade etc..., we are losing our ability to provide a better life OR enjoy a better QOL with and or for our families. It has nothing to do with social status. To me the scary part is that you and others who share your opinion are willing to take such a large hit in present finances ,your retirement, and your QOL in order to facilitate that for others instead of maybe balancing the two a little more and providing growth for BOTH companies; not just one younger company with cheaper labor and NO union protection. I for one am not willing to swallow that pill and sacrifice my family and our future plansfor another airline's pilot group if I am given my say; oh wait I am, and that is why I will vote NO if we are ever asked to alter the TA.

Again, whataburger, sorry for going down the cheapshot road, that was inexcusable, I wish us all at SWAPA and the rest of the industry well! Cheers, Ken

Whataburger-

SWAPA can TRY to get everyone wrapped around the axel if they want. It is up to all of us as individuals as to what they feel is most important. I think a contract is important, I think keeping up with COLA is important. None of this matters if our jobs are shipped to Mexico or Canada-just ask HP techs, just ask auto-workers in DTW, just ask...and the list goes on and on; this is what I am most passionate about.....Our name, our airplanes, our pilots. You are right, we do need to stay united and make our voices heard. Thx
-M

I sure as heck hope so. You are right, my last comment was a cheap shot spurred on by some pretty strong feelings on the subject. I offer you my apology for that.

The scary part here is that this discussion has EVERYTHING (in my opinion) to do with defining ourselves in the outside world. It has NOTHING to do with seat position. Most of my firends at church have no idea aside from working for Southwest what I do here. What I am getting at is that when we lose the progression, seniority, delayed upgrade etc..., we are losing our ability to provide a better life OR enjoy a better QOL with and or for our families. It has nothing to do with social status. To me the scary part is that you and others who share your opinion are willing to take such a large hit in present finances ,your retirement, and your QOL in order to facilitate that for others instead of maybe balancing the two a little more and providing growth for BOTH companies; not just one younger company with cheaper labor and NO union protection. I for one am not willing to swallow that pill and sacrifice my family and our future plansfor another airline's pilot group if I am given my say; oh wait I am, and that is why I will vote NO if we are ever asked to alter the TA.

Again, whataburger, sorry for going down the cheapshot road, that was inexcusable, I wish us all at SWAPA and the rest of the industry well! Cheers, Ken

No apology need.
I think we all have one thing in common: We need to have this company stay around for another 30 years. Reasonable seniority and pay will make the ride that much sweeter.
Time to go bid for December. Bids close in 1hr 50min.

Having flown a bit in Mexico, I think we need to keep in mind that those stops wouldn't all fit into the present SWA business model. There are not many places were you will get a 30 min or less turn. Things just don't happen that way.
Don't yell Philly, because alot of times you do get a decent turn there (and sometimes you don't), but I don't see ANY short turns in Cabo, Mazatlan, etc...
How will that fit?

No flame, just something to keep in mind.

Latest resources

Back