Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA internal news postponed until 10:00a.m.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude. Your future is being outsourced. What part of that are not understanding?

Gup

I fully understand what is going on. We have different beliefs on how to skin the same cat. You should be able to handle someone having a diffent opinion than you. In ten years, lets revisit this thread. Deal?

No problem bro. Hope you're right but I'm still voting no and I've already called the union. I suggest you do the same. You might be surprised.

Gup

Look here, we are flying the 737-7 like it was a 200. Do we really wanna go bursting through the door of the intl market or let someone do the dirty work for us?

I may be wrong, but I think folks have been flying between the US and Mexico for quite some time now. There are airlines, I'm told, that do it more than once a day. There's even a guy down the street who is from Mexico. Maybe there are more like him out there that might like to travel there occasionally.

Good grief!!

I totally understand your viewpoints and concerns. However, here lies our fundamental difference. I don't believe that the flying to Oh-Canada or Me-he-co is OURS. We don't own that flying, it's not ours. I honestly think that we need to find the smartest way to dip our toe in the international pool with out getting our foot bit off. We need to move SWA passengers to as many cities as possible so we can get our loads above 70%. ATA was supposedly a cash cow for us. We never had to even hire one person in Hawaii. I did not see that flying as ours.

Look here, we are flying the 737-7 like it was a 200. Do we really wanna go bursting through the door of the intl market or let someone do the dirty work for us?

I know my viewpoint is different than a lot of folks, but how do we know if Gary is right or wrong? Only hindsight will tell me if I'm a fool or not.

Are you in Management?

SWA pilots beware of your futures

So you know how to run an airline better than Gary and the board? Maby you could put your app in. Did your research all our options or are you regergitating something you heard in the crewroom? Are you thinking for yourself or looking for the popular movement to join?

Whataburger- certainly did not mean to offend... I am thinking for myself. It does not take much to see the effects of this based upon the history of other carriers and the emergence of the RJ feeders. If that is not good enough for you, read Hard Landing. Do I think we could go to Mex or Can tomorrow? No, but could we do so in the next couple years? You bet! What kind of aircraft does Westjet fly again? For the record, I do NOT believe that I can run an airline better than GK, but doesn't he always ask for feedback and interaction with the employees, and take suggestions? He himself would tell you he is not perfect... I think you kid yourself if you think he has our interests first-at-hand! Herb is NOT running things anymore, and while GK is very smart, he is a different sort of person with a different mentality. Wouldn't it be a novel concept if we were the first pilot group in a long time to put a stop to this slippery slide of job outsourcing? We could, but it will take us all doing it TOGETHER, STAYING UNTIED, and voting no IF there are trouble spots in this TA or GK wants to renegotiate the scope/codeshare TA...

I think that you are an FO if I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong), if you think this does not effect our progression then think again. If we are not careful, through the codeshare and southwest.com we are going to facilitate Westjet's 15% predicted growth rate, while ours is what again?!? Are you willing to delay your upgrade so that the Canucks can upgrade in 4 years? WN got it right, this is outsourcing of our jobs and it does not take chatter around the crew room to come up with that on your own. Volaris is just the second example of this, and it needs to either stop or we need to hold the company to growing at 5% average annually which it will not if you include the projected #'s for 2009. I live 10 mins from my base so I do not spend much time in the crew room anyway. Btw, do you bother to think for yourself or are you regergitating the employee news section of SWA Life or LUVLines between sips of koolaid? Company loyalty is good, but BLIND loyalty is very dangerous. Respectfully, klr

Look here, we are flying the 737-7 like it was a 200. Do we really wanna go bursting through the door of the intl market or let someone do the dirty work for us?"

Heard of RNP? We are not going to be flying our 7's like the -200's forever.. By dirty work, do you mean let them grow at 15% while we stand still? The international market is not that tough when you consider what this company has tackled in its past...

The difference with the ATA flying to Hawaii, is that they were doing it with aircraft bigger and more suited to the route than we have, and with an ETOPS certification, which of course, we don't have. Westjet and Volaris are either operating these routes with the exact same airplane, or something very comparable. most of this flying that we are codesharing for does not require ETOPS. Whataburger, I'd be right there with ya if they were talking about codesharing to Europe or Asia where there was no hope of operating a 737-700 profitably, but our aircraft would be well suited to Canada, Mexico and the carribbean... Again, cheers to all, and for my SWAPA brothers and sisters, stay UNITED!

Whataburger will sign any offer given him. He represents the majority of SWA pilots. Like sheep to a slaughter. 5 year pay freeze and all the new growth is by other airlines.

Whataburger,

You are WAY off on this one dude. I agree that we should not be going to every city in Canada or Mexico but we can and should serve the cities that would be high density connecting cities. Anything that requires ETOPS (i.e. Hawaii) is not our market but there is plenty that SWA seems to be attempting to give away. I hope that SWAPA is ready to fight on this one.

-PB

Latest resources

Back