• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Hires Old Pilots ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shortly after age 65 went into effect SWA rehired about a dozen "bummers" recently retired captains. They came back to the bottom of the FO list.

Have not seen any over 60 guys come out of new hire. Transition from Air Tran maybe.

Yes AT did hire several guys like this. Everyone I know is retired Delta...

Phred

Genny,

You seriously need to look to the left at the 60-62 yr old guy that's been flying international for 10+ years.

They look like the walking dead. Long haul international might be fun when your 35 or 40, but definitely miserable as you get older. So why are those guys still there? They have to be, it's all about the money. It's definitely NOT working redeyes around the globe. Those blow.

Added to that, Delta doesn't give them much better options on the narrowbody, domestic schedules. Of course you know how bad those lines are.

Sorry but this sounds like somebody really doesnt know what they are talking about.I would go on but the rest of the crew meets at a beach bar here in TLV in just a few mins.....

Genny,

You seriously need to look to the left at the 60-62 yr old guy that's been flying international for 10+ years.

They look like the walking dead. Long haul international might be fun when your 35 or 40, but definitely miserable as you get older. So why are those guys still there? They have to be, it's all about the money. It's definitely NOT working redeyes around the globe. Those blow.

Added to that, Delta doesn't give them much better options on the narrowbody, domestic schedules. Of course you know how bad those lines are.

You'd have a lot more credibility if you actually knew WTF you were talking about.

Genny,

Red....you know nothing about long haul International at a Major Airline....sorry Hero....Aruba in the -800 "heavy" 737 doesn't count.

Stop chiming in your opinion when you have never done it.

Having flown Inter and domestic, don't be fooled by the posts. Flying in a tube for 10 plus hours crossing many time zones and or inter dateline plays serious havoc on the body. Rest at 380 in a tube is not real rest. Boredom for hours on end doesn't help. I'm personally happy not to do it. To each his own but to glamorize it makes for a good laugh.

Having flown Inter and domestic, don't be fooled by the posts. Flying in a tube for 10 plus hours crossing many time zones and or inter dateline plays serious havoc on the body. Rest at 380 in a tube is not real rest. Boredom for hours on end doesn't help. I'm personally happy not to do it. To each his own but to glamorize it makes for a good laugh.

I wil say it for Bill and GL

( you don't know what your talking about ). :)

flying 15 hours a day is the best thing since strip clubs.

Exactly HighSpeed. They try to hide behind 'the great destination', but want you and everyone else to ignore the years of wear and tear on your body. And the fact that anything eastbound is going to start with a Redeye. What a great way to start a trip...not.

Bill,

I've seen the guys first hand coming off those flights in Terminal E and Terminal F. Hence....The Walking Dead. Where did I mention anything about Aruba? You are starting to sound more and more like the General. Throwing out NEW topics that aren't even being discussed. That's not you..

Exactly HighSpeed. They try to hide behind 'the great destination', but want you and everyone else to ignore the years of wear and tear on your body. And the fact that anything eastbound is going to start with a Redeye. What a great way to start a trip...not.

Bill,

I've seen the guys first hand coming off those flights in Terminal E and Terminal F. Hence....The Walking Dead. Where did I mention anything about Aruba? You are starting to sound more and more like the General. Throwing out NEW topics that aren't even being discussed. That's not you..

I "LUV" your response. First, you agree with Highspeedclimb, or as we call him "Dr. Sanjay Gupta." Yes, he is qualified to give you and everyone else a "generalization", from his vast experience. How about going Westbound towards Asia? How about crew rest facilities, or actual lie flat bunks? Maybe he never experienced those? How about 3 weeks off between 12 day trips? Is that enough time to recover? I guess early wake ups are better than a long haul flight? Wouldn't it depend on the person? What if a pilot is a "night owl" but is junior and can only get early morning pushes? Ask Highspeedclimb his opinion on that?

And Red, you've seen INTL pilots getting out of customs in ATL first hand? Why aren't you in the C or D Concourses? Oh, that's right, you are an expert now, you go to Aruba... Why don't you ask them if they want to go back to domestic? I bet they'd give you a quick answer. You don't have a choice really, but you might get to go to Aruba, and then Midland the next night....

You leave out the fact that legacy pilots can try long haul and then go back to domestic, and vice versa. It's called choice Red, look it up.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
You leave out the fact that legacy pilots can try long haul and then go back to domestic, and vice versa. It's called choice Red, look it up.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I did look it up. The domestic lines blow. 4 days that pay 20. 'Nuff said.

That's not really a choice Genny, and you know it. That's why you wouldn't touch that NYC MD upgrade with a ten foot pole.

I did look it up. The domestic lines blow. 4 days that pay 20. 'Nuff said.

That's not really a choice Genny, and you know it. That's why you wouldn't touch that NYC MD upgrade with a ten foot pole.

I'm glad you have seen ALL of the DL domestic trips. Awesome. And I suppose you also saw all of the INTL trips too? Fantastic. Well, you had the time I guess on your 1-1-2 leg 3 day Corndog trip. Riiiiight.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back