SWA Hires Old Pilots ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bafanguy

Found this on another forum but without supporting sources. What's the deal on this...is it real ?:

SouthWest Airlines hires old guys

"There's life in me yet"

If you're an old geezer, a real old geezer, like over 60 years of age, don't give up hope of scoring your dream airline job just yet.
SouthWest airlines is in a hiring frenzy, and has recruited several over 60 years of age pilots recently.
With an age gradient in the ranks, this means some of the younger guys who got put on after these old boys, are going to see an acceleration in their promotional stakes, when the old boys retire.

Last edited:
Shortly after age 65 went into effect SWA rehired about a dozen "bummers" recently retired captains. They came back to the bottom of the FO list.

Have not seen any over 60 guys come out of new hire. Transition from Air Tran maybe.

ID,

Thanks. That probably explains it.

How was their return viewed by the other pilots ?

A number of years ago before the 65 year old retirement age became effective I was on a Southwest jumpseat and the F/O was a new hire from the military. He told me he just turn 56 years young. I said good for you! nice smooth night landing at SkyHarbor was impressive as well.

After flying 5-6 legs per day with min turns throughout Texas or across the country, even 40 year old FOs at the Corndog look 65. No chance to switch to a different fleet to try something else, and only guys like Redflyer can get a 3 day trip with 1 leg, 1 leg, 2 leg days. Yeah, right, old timer!

I keed, I keed! :D

Bye Bye---General Lee

After flying 5-6 legs per day with min turns throughout Texas or across the country, even 40 year old FOs at the Corndog look 65. No chance to switch to a different fleet to try something else, and only guys like Redflyer can get a 3 day trip with 1 leg, 1 leg, 2 leg days. Yeah, right, old timer!

I keed, I keed! :D

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now I see whey the Delta flight attendants want to stay at different hotel than the Delta pilots :)

Now I see whey the Delta flight attendants want to stay at different hotel than the Delta pilots :)

You've got great flight attendant insight. Good for you. But, I question why you can see "whey"? Do you mean "whey protein?" You must work out....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Genny,

You seriously need to look to the left at the 60-62 yr old guy that's been flying international for 10+ years.

They look like the walking dead. Long haul international might be fun when your 35 or 40, but definitely miserable as you get older. So why are those guys still there? They have to be, it's all about the money. It's definitely NOT working redeyes around the globe. Those blow.

Added to that, Delta doesn't give them much better options on the narrowbody, domestic schedules. Of course you know how bad those lines are.

Genny,

You seriously need to look to the left at the 60-62 yr old guy that's been flying international for 10+ years.

They look like the walking dead. Long haul international might be fun when your 35 or 40, but definitely miserable as you get older. So why are those guys still there? They have to be, it's all about the money. It's definitely NOT working redeyes around the globe. Those blow.

Added to that, Delta doesn't give them much better options on the narrowbody, domestic schedules. Of course you know how bad those lines are.

Uhhhhhh, explain why the A330 has FOs that retire at 65? You obviously don't know what you are talking about. More than half of the 330 FOs are extremely senior, and they could make a lot more as a narrowbody Captain, but they love the lifestyle. They won't leave. They like the longer flights with rest breaks, one leg a day, 24 hour or longer layovers in Europe or Asia. They do their 12 day trip, then have 3 or more weeks off. Again, how is that tougher than domestic? Some go from the right seat to the left seat of the Widebody and then retire.

As far as domestic goes, the fleets have different missions. Some have more legs per day, some do transcons, some have a combo. What's great Red is that at a legacy, pilots have a CHOICE. They can bid a plane in the domestic arena, then if they want a change, go to another fleet, or bid long haul. There are so many combos someone could have during their entire CAREER. You guys have to stay on one plane type, doing quick turns, forever. Boring!

Quit being so jealous. Variety is GOOD. Less variety or lack of choice is BAD.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back