SWA Gets More Cautious For '08

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F9,
I would prefer that the camel was never close to the tent...but he is here. I agree that he is sniffing around and that is what we need to be careful about.

I just flew with a guy on the Neg team that WAS furloughed in the early 80's. He was furloughed out of his class. His words directly to me. They did reduce the hours but his class was furloughed for a few weeks I believe.

Well, all I remember is that the word 'furlough' has never been used to describe the seniority list at SWA. Perhaps your friend's interpretation of his class being delayed or postponed is where his idea of furlough came from. Not taking anything away from what he told you. He may in fact have been 'furloughed', but we just didn't call it that then. But then again, I'm almost 60 and suffering from half-eimer's. Can't wait until I'm 65 and the FO will have to remind me it's time to push! Cheers

Spro1815,
He was in class with a number and told to go home. Maybe SWA sugarcoated it, but to me that equals a furlough. It has happened and can happen again. Especially with a bean counter at the helm.

Your post looks like you enjoy having your cake and eating it too. How much did YOU benefit from age 60? I know you thought is wrong even in your 30's, yeah right!! I got mine so who cares about the rest cappy. If or when the rule changes it should be grandfathered. Based on when one recived there ATP. If you received it before the 60-65 change your butt is out at 60. If you received it after the change then you can go until 65 if you so desire. That way there isnt a windfall for the near 60 geezers now. I think this would be fair. Then you can sleep at night knowing the wrong was corrected.

Spro1815,
He was in class with a number and told to go home. Maybe SWA sugarcoated it, but to me that equals a furlough. It has happened and can happen again. Especially with a bean counter at the helm.

Your post looks like you enjoy having your cake and eating it too. How much did YOU benefit from age 60? I know you thought is wrong even in your 30's, yeah right!! I got mine so who cares about the rest cappy. If or when the rule changes it should be grandfathered. Based on when one recived there ATP. If you received it before the 60-65 change your butt is out at 60. If you received it after the change then you can go until 65 if you so desire. That way there isnt a windfall for the near 60 geezers now. I think this would be fair. Then you can sleep at night knowing the wrong was corrected.

OK friend, sounds like you have a hair or two up your ass and you are trying to pick a fight. I'm not taking the bait, so I will stop responding to you. My response was to correct the impression that we have furloughed pilots in the past. We have not!! We can argue all day whether furloughing in class before on the line is truly a furlough. On the age 60, I do not mean to start up that thread, obviously you folks are a little sensitive. If the age changes, you will have to accept it hopefully without anger. If not, so be it. Have a nice day.

And after all, aren't even the ATA guys concerned about a few Hawaiian codeshare flights being "temporarily" shifted to other GAL entities? (I still get the ATA ALPA union updates as a furloughee)

Apples and oranges. NAA flying our routes from OAK to Hawaii does not compare to what we are discussing in my opinion. SWA does not have an International capability (yet) therefore, how can we be preventing their growth? Due to ATA Managements ineptitude, we took on more flying than we can handle. A missed opportunity to recall pilots and grow the airline.

ESPRIT

Those 10 pesky ata 757's will turn into 100 in no time, I am all for us having a code share but with a timelimit, start the route if there is enough traffic and proffit after x number of years than we fly it if it makes no money than we don't need it anyway.

A. There are only a handful of 757s in the used market-the cargo operators are snatching them up. Can't afford new a/c either.

B. You have more faith than I do in ATA management's ability to swing such a deal. Mainly securing financing for such an endeavor, among other things.

ESPRIT

The ATA contract allows for temporary sub-service. So far this NAA thing is for two weeks, approx. through the holidays.

We're also bringing out a bunch of crews and aircraft from JFK to do some holiday flying. They usually do only military and/or other non-Hawaiin flying.

Check back after the holidays.

OK friend, sounds like you have a hair or two up your ass and you are trying to pick a fight. I'm not taking the bait, so I will stop responding to you. My response was to correct the impression that we have furloughed pilots in the past. We have not!! We can argue all day whether furloughing in class before on the line is truly a furlough. On the age 60, I do not mean to start up that thread, obviously you folks are a little sensitive. If the age changes, you will have to accept it hopefully without anger. If not, so be it. Have a nice day.

I guess the truth hurts. :(

Latest resources

Back