Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"...we have a lot of pilots here that are flying their first airline."

Read this as :

"We have a lot of former military pilots here that are flying their first airline."

Now, before you all jump on me.... U.S. military pilots are some of the best ( if not the best ) trained pilots in the World.

The key word in that sentence, however, is "trained".

Trained from square one to believe in Uncle Sam, to respect the Chain-of-Command, to believe that if they put forth their best efforts for "The Team", that "The Team" will take care of them.

It takes them several years sometimes, once they are thrust into the 121/airline environment, to learn that there is NO "Team" in the airline world.

Unfortunately, there is Management and Labor, and those of the former could give two sh!ts about the latter.

I realize that this is a huge generalization and there are a lot of sharp former military folks who don't fit this bill.

But like everything in Life, there is a learning curve and it takes some people awhile to understand how Management, Labor, The RLA, etc. all interact in the Real World.

Doesn't make 'em Bad Guys, but it does explain why airline management "Luvs" (in this case ) to hire ex-military.

"Yes, SIR! Thank You, SIR!"

YKW

Last edited:
Excellent post, WhineLover!! It's unfortunate that those with no prior airline experience are finally seeing the light they've been taken advantage of all these years.

Look guys, most of us here at SWA know we are fat some 250 - 300 pilots. Unless something happens soon , the company will lay off , its just a matter of time. That would have happened no matter how the TA vote went. I dont like it , but we are now run by bean counters like everyone else .

" All things that evoke change become that which was before." - Ramsay

Without "Rise" there can be no "Decline".

SWA = Start-Up = Legacy = Defunct

In the words of The Great Bobby Zimmerman:

"Time will tell, who has fell...and who's been left behind. You go your way, I'll go mine."

It just is what it IS. What has been, will always Be. Until it is no longer.

R.I.P : PanAm, Midway, Eastern, Braniff, TWA, etc., etc., etc.,...

" It's just Life. Get over it. " - YKMKR

YKW

Last edited:
Look guys, most of us here at SWA know we are fat some 250 - 300 pilots. Unless something happens soon , the company will lay off , its just a matter of time. That would have happened no matter how the TA vote went. I dont like it , but we are now run by bean counters like everyone else .

If you believe we're fat by 250 to 300 pilots then I've got some land down in Florida you might be interested in? Look at the reserve lines and what the people flying them are blocking/crediting; you'll be surprised it's a large number! Also, the company hasen't even started RNP training which will take more available bodies off the line. I'm no expert when it comes to "bean counting" but I just can't believe we are that over-manned. If the "F" word does happen then I suggest the FO side of the house prepare to "bend over". I'd love to hear someone explain to me the other side of the argument. Fly Safe!

We are fat by historical standards, but we are not fat. The guys who used to fly 180 a month can only squeeze out 130. I can't crack 110, but I'm a junior captain. All the lines pay well above the guarantee. When the company can't write lines that pay the guarantee, THEN we are fat. Just because you can't fly what you are used to doesn't mean we close to furloughing dudes. We aren't going to furlough unless we shrink quite a bit more.

Wait a second, is that a no voter spreading doom and gloom??? How can that be?
The chain begins with voluntary leaves/furloughs then migrates to everyone taking a lower block/guarantee to help keep people on property. Are you saying you aren't going to be helping your brothers and sisters out if the time comes?

SLC
:cool:

Latest resources

Back