SWA Fleet update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Below FL 280 not a bad idea anyhow

I remember back right after the Aloha incident (very high time, high cycle -200) occurred, all old -200 operators had to comply with some AD's regarding fuselage skin inspections.

Being in maintenance at the time with the original Piedmont, we had our hands full. We sent some older -200's out the door looking like battleships (with numerous external skin repairs and huge protruding head rivets)....wasn't a pretty site.

At the time Piedmont had many of it's older -200's limited to FL 240 in order to comply with the AD. I remember riding in the back one day from MCO to DAY at FL 240 in a very noisy older -200 hoping the top wouldn't blow.

Here's an excerpt from the AD (I don't know if SWA operates any of these birds or not). Note the max diff. pressure of 5.67 psi:

88-22-11 R1 BOEING: Amendment 39-6059 as revised by Amendment 39-6432. Docket No. 89-NM-141-AD.

Applicability: Model 737 series airplanes, line number 001 through 519, certificated in any category.

Compliance: Required as indicated, unless previously accomplished.

To prevent rapid decompression of the airplane, accomplish the following:

A. For airplanes line number 001 through 291, prior to the accumulation of 40,000 landings, or within 10 calendar days after November 21, 1988 (the effective date of Amendment 39-6059), whichever occurs later, restrict all flight operations to a maximum cabin pressure differential of 5.67 psi until the inspections required by paragraph B.1., below, are accomplished.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back