• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA f/o arrested for intoxication

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact that he blew below the FAA limit by a fraction should be no cause for celebration. He showed up to work with measurable alcohol in his blood and it was noticed. He makes us all look bad in the public's eye by showing extremely poor judgement. In this case the TSA did what the public wants them to do.

And for the record, I drink on layovers as often as I can but I don't violate the 12 hour rule, I don't work hungover, and to my knowledge I've never had a measurable BAC at report time.

He says he had only 2 large beers at brewvies, 1 at the hotel, and oh yeah I forgot about that shot of vodka. Either I missed it or no one in this thread mentioned is what was the actual size of the "2 large beers", were they real large like "The Roaster" in SEA 32oz? If so this guy had a total of 6.5 beers and a shot. I read somewhere that the avg. male metabolizes alcohol at about 1 beer/shot per hour. So if this guy stopped at exactly 8 hours prior and went straight to bed, with a 1 hour show time you can see where he would/could still have some in his system. I admire (am jealous:) alot of times at the fun the SW crews appear to have on layovers, but maybe it is time for a 12 hour rule like we have at NW. And before anyone jumps my ass about our past and probably future incidents, my point is w/12hrs which everyone I have been out with adheres to religously this guy would probably never been in this situation.

FN FAL said:
I would say. That a good idea. Would be to put up a special hotel. Just for pilots. Who are happen to overnight. The hotel would be secured. So only food. Or water to be admitted. A shower. And a community restroom would be good if the pilot happen to need those. Maybe even if there was a need for entertainment. There could be a lounge with television. And wake up calls.

I think your BAC is measureable right now.;)

IB6 UB9 said:
I think your BAC is measureable right now.;)
Right now? Or do you mean, right now? No, check it now. Too late, you'll have to check it later, for it to be right then, which would be right now. Oooops, missed it again.

The TSA has many problems, but some guys on this board need to get their facts straight. The TSA screener does not have arrest authority. The TSA would have referred the guy to the local airport cops (Dan Love is Airport Liason from FBI/FAM office). There is no breathalizer at any TSA checkpoint. The TSA does not issue them the local cops do, therefore if they test him and he blows high he gets arrested not by TSA but by the local cops or the feds. The TSA does not train its people to wait and bait a pilot by getting him to talk to them. Don't blame the TSA if the guy blew below or above the limit. All the screeners would have done is refer the local cops to the situation.
If the guy was indeed guilty (not sure since he appeared coherent in the interviews and blew a .039 not .040) then shame on him, don't blame the TSA for the pilot drinking. If the cops pull you over for DUI or a citizen complains when you're weaving all over the highway, is it their fault or your own? Yes the TSA does some stupid things, but they've also been the reason a couple of drunk AW pilots didn't fly in a dangerous condition. If you're not over the limit than you don't have anything to worry about, if they refer you for a breathalizer and you're clean then you're clean.
Do you think that "the pilot hating screeners" have special breathalizers they pull out when pilots walk up just so they can bust them and get an award...geez, ya'll think the world is out to get you. Should the screener just ignore what he smells knowing that the guy is about to fly an aircraft? Obey the rules and have no worries.

I agree with 350...just this time only.

Cobraair75drvr said:
He says he had only 2 large beers at brewvies, 1 at the hotel, and oh yeah I forgot about that shot of vodka. Either I missed it or no one in this thread mentioned is what was the actual size of the "2 large beers", were they real large like "The Roaster" in SEA 32oz? If so this guy had a total of 6.5 beers and a shot. I read somewhere that the avg. male metabolizes alcohol at about 1 beer/shot per hour. So if this guy stopped at exactly 8 hours prior and went straight to bed, with a 1 hour show time you can see where he would/could still have some in his system. I admire (am jealous:) alot of times at the fun the SW crews appear to have on layovers, but maybe it is time for a 12 hour rule like we have at NW. And before anyone jumps my ass about our past and probably future incidents, my point is w/12hrs which everyone I have been out with adheres to religously this guy would probably never been in this situation.

Keep in mind the beer in SLC is only 3.2% by vol. Bar tenders can not serve doubles. This has put a curve ball in my drinking habits in SLC.

Let me get this straight....an FO for LUV was taken into custody by a cop named Dan Love? Where's the love in that?

-Blucher

Cobraair75drvr said:

Cobraair:

The problem with your 12 hour suggestion is the same as with the rules at some carriers that preclude any drinking on overnights, it will be largely ignored!

The solution is moderation and common sense! The 8 hour rule works just fine if you just have a few drinks. If people drink to excess with the 8 hour rule, they will do the same with a 12 hour rule.

As far as those on this board who think that this guy is out of the woods, think again.

Even though he technically should be cleared based on the .04 rule, the SLC prosecutors are obviously pushing this to the limit, largely due to the media attention this has generated. Not surprising when you consider the location where this occurred and that may have a lot to do with the politics of this area.

I wish the best for this guy, but unless SWA doesn't have a lower BAC level in their FOM (most carriers do with a .02 BAC limit), he will likely be terminated which pretty much will end his flying career, have huge legal bills, and be lucky if he can stay out of jail.

This just goes to show you, even if you find yourself within the rules, you can still get screwed. While drinking as much as he obviously did was not the best of judgment, it was within the rules, at least the CFRs, and he should never have been arrested and the charges should have never been filed.

So much for the fine legal system we live under!

Mind the advice of many on this thread, stay under the radar, drink in moderation, and stay the hell away from the TSA jerks!

canyonblue said:
Oh yea, and Michael Jackson is going to stop playing with little kids.:rolleyes: The drinking rule is there for those that can understand social drinking. It does not reflect the 8 and 10 percent of Americans - or one in nine people - that are alcoholics. They will not abide by rules or threats of expulsion, and will continue to flaunt the rules until caught, or worse. For this guys sake I hope it was an error in arresting him.

Well said, agree 100%.

Also, do you know what the difference is between Neil Armstrong and Michael Jackson? Neil Armstrong likes to walk on the moon and Michael Jackson likes to f**k little boys! :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back