SWA eyes DAL gates @ DFW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
737tanker said:
Everyone said that SWA wouldn't go to PHL because of the 30 min taxis, & we are now there. I wouldn't say that DFW is beyond the possibilitie, especially with Gary Kelly being quoted saying that nothing is off the table for SWA.
Actually, I think SWA is basically asking AA to pick up the slack at DFW with this announcement.

I promise you AirTran is going to do the best it can in helping AA pick up the Delta slack.

I'm sure David Neeleman would like to get in there as well. But isn't it really up to DAL who they let have them? I thought they owned the gates there.

IIRC, the airline must maintain a certain amount of usage of said gates in order to maintain occupancy/ownership.

If unable to do so then bye-bye gate.

If SW contiues doing these types of things, there is going to be nothing seperating them from everyone else. The problems that have plauged the legacys will plague them. Whats next, ORD?

KingAirer said:
If SW contiues doing these types of things, there is going to be nothing seperating them from everyone else. The problems that have plauged the legacys will plague them. Whats next, ORD?
And there we have it. The discovery that management at WN isn't thinking beyond next week. If you haven't noticed, the landscape has significantly changed. The playbook has to be tweaked to remain competitive. It's simply corporate evolution.

Just a thought...

-- AA has already it plans to flow its aircraft out more efficiently to reduce delays

-- A reduction of flights by DAL from 240+ to less than 30 will reduce a great deal of traffic

-- SWA schedulers know our aircraft turn in 20-25 minutes on the ground. Aircraft could theoretically come in and push out prior to the big pushes and avoide potential delays that might be significantly reduced (certainly not eliminated) since we will be able to look at everyone else's schedule and work around it.

-- We currently fly out IAH, huge delays, loads aren't great & the taxi routing is similiar to DFW but you know what...when we come in & out between go's...it is as smooth as anywhere we fly...those gaps maybe decreasing because of the flow of AA new schedule but there will still be slow times & even the rushed times will be less than before....of course one has to schedule aircraft when folks want to go, i.e. the bunched up times....I'll leave it to folks much smarter than us on this board to figure things out

-- The bigger issue is will these types of flight undercut the west TX cities that currently have some impressive connections to points further west that might normally not be there, i.e. non stops to LAS from MAF, LBB, AMA for example, even to PHX for some....these could easily go away or have fewer folks on them if flights from DFW are launched & then are successful (I suspect they would be). This might spell the end of some of these smaller cities as folks stop flying out to these places, getting off the aircraft & then getting re-ticketed to fly to other points...we'll wait & see.

Latest resources

Back