SWA Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey QXE,

I've been holdin' my breath for you this weekend, I figure if we have 100 percent of the pool accounted for, you outta be hearing something real soon!!!

S.B.

I wish...

SB,

Last time I spoke with JB, she didn't think I'd make the the first class when they stated up again but maybe the second or third. I think slug got told the same thing by her too. I did see we got boots in there so thats good. I'm suring they're trying to get those stop loss boys to class, they've been tardy. Hang in there we are all very very close.

If the logic behind requiring the type is for insurance reasons it would be easy enough to turn the initial checkride with the company into a type ride.

The best logic I heard regarding the type was that it enabled SWA to condense their training somewhat and also pretty much assures a 100% pass rate the first time through the initial training. Both of which saves the company money. If thats the case it lends some credence to the claim that requiring the type may be a form of PFT.

Last edited:
Here's what I know:

1. Saves on training
2. 100% pass rate
3. Shows commitment to SWA, not stepping stone to other airline

You get in return

1. You can plan the rest of your/families life, no furloughs
2. When you retire your profitsharing account will be HUGE
3. Well managed, great place to work
4. We take care of our own

I know of a few SWA pilots that did not have degrees when hired. Most on the avg. had 5000+ total time and lots of 121 PIC.

Most of the interviews when asked have told me, by the time pilots reach SWA requirements their flying skills are not in question. It's the right attitude they are looking for. SWA pilots fly in an enviroment that is a bit different than other airlines. It take someone that gets along well with everyone and is very very flexiable.
SWA takes care of their pilots, perhaps they are not the highest paid, but by the end of a great career, they would have made more than the agv pilot and are living very well after 60.

Good luck with your career with SWA, you've made the right choice.

regards 8sm.......20+ years with SWA (not a pilot)

Last edited:
As an aspiring Southwest pilot, I would rather see them require the type rating as a screening device than go to the "LOR Required" Old Boy Network system that airlines like Alaska, UPS, and FedEx use. At least you have control over something like getting a type rating; I have no control over whether a friend I work with gets hired by one of these other airlines.

We don't do scheduled 10 min turns anymore. The shortest scheduled turn is now 20 min with most longer than that. 25 to 30 is the norm.

not 4 everyone....

Radiofly er...

Everyone has a place on the planet...

personally for me - 32 years with not even a baggage handler laid off, a corporate culture that promotes free thinking and getting the job done, great management (take a HARD look at ANY other major on this one!), looking forward to going to work because almost everyone has a great attitude & WANTS to be there... upgrade in 4-5 year (8+ at the other MAJORS).... and last ,but not least, commitment. $7500 for a 737 type is "nothing"... after all it's only $350/yr over a 20 year career, I'll pay that for the peace of mind and the opportunity to part of the SWA team, gladly.

WHerever you work, I hope you LOVE it, can't wait to get up every day just to go to work, and that you will retire a happy, well adjusted person who never had to be furloughed. That's not much to ask from your career, is it!?!?

Have a great weekend!! K

Latest resources

Back