• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB today..Let us know if you get it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been consistently hearing two maybe three selected out of 15 interviewees! Is the type rating worth buying with such crummy odds. We would have been better off going to vegas and putting that money on blackjack.

I have been consistently hearing two maybe three selected out of 15 interviewees!

Those odds do suck. No other way to put it. I am curious to know what the interview/hire ratio is with the other companies (i.e. FedEx,Jet Blue,UPS,etc.) that are hiring.

Anybody know???

Johnny

Unless you know how many qualified people are applying it is impossible to calculate the odds. SWA puts you through the one-on-ones and the LOI, CAL puts you through the interview and a SIM check, they notify you within 48 hours. Alaska has maybe the most difficult sim profile in the industry and they just made their pilots take a 25% pay cut. Delta interviews once and if you do not get hired you CANNOT apply again. The FedEx interview is extremely involved and you might not ever get the call if you are a civilian.
What this comes down too is this; there are no guarantees. If you buy a Boeing 737 Type Rating than you might just price yourself out of the market for some jobs. That is why the joke at HPA is All of my Eggs in one Basket. It is alot like LIFE, There are risks involved with this investment opprutunity, this investment might not be right for all who invest. Right now if you want to get hired by SWA and you are not furloughed ATA, you better have a type rating. That is just the way it is.

I am curious of the avg flight time breakdown (TT, Jet PIC, TP PIC) that people hired had at the time of the DB?

I believe that laying down $7,000 for a career worth millions at a fantastic airline is a great bet. Unfortunatley, it seems you have better odds of getting hit by lightening than getting an interview with SWA if you dont have the type. It comes down to how bad you want it. In addition, I don't personally know one person that has bought the type and not been hired because of it at any airline. Just my 2cents.

Whataburger said:
I believe that laying down $7,000 for a career worth millions at a fantastic airline is a great bet. Unfortunatley, it seems you have better odds of getting hit by lightening than getting an interview with SWA if you dont have the type. It comes down to how bad you want it. In addition, I don't personally know one person that has bought the type and not been hired because of it at any airline. Just my 2cents.

Congrats on getting hired. Since I work with pilot clients every day, I can attest to the fact that not only have they been ASKED about the 737 Type and why they got it, but not selected by other airlines / corporate jobs because of it.

The rationale, as stated before, is that after a year, you will leave if offered a job with SWA. No one wants to spend the money training someone that is going to leave. While employers may not have any loyalty toward the worker, they expect the worker to have loyalty to them.

This trend is not just happening in the airline industry.

A close relative works for one of the Big Three auto makers. He is between a rock and a hard place, as his employer is laying off people and no one knows who will be next. However, if they catch you applying elsewhere, they tap you on the shoulder and walk you out the door! The future is uncertain for these people, and either way, they could be next in line - by either doing nothing or doing something to ensure their own survival. Really stinks!!

I know plenty of guys hired at Jetblue with 737 type ratings, some had been pooled at SWA and others with unsuccessful interviews. Also know a few hired at Fedex. Oh yeah, Comair and ASA, too. Sorry Resume Writer, your theory doen't hold up in my experience.

shootr

Close to half of the pilots in my JetBlue class have 737 type ratings. We even have a guy that left SWA for JB.

Last edited:
I got the 737 Type AFTER my SWA interview. It was great prep for the CAL interview since I hadn't flown in a few months! Fortunately, WIA covered the bulk of it, so my cost was nothing to worry about. Of course, SWA said no, CAL said yes, and then jetBlue just called as well. Education never hurt...

I had a 737 type and was hired at an airline. They didn't even ask me why I had it. Neither did my current employer. It hasn't hurt me at all.

Latest resources

Back