• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great words but my questions were not answered.

There is a tremendous difference between before and after 9/11. From my research, prior to 9/11 SWA interviewed 240 a month, hired a lot more than the 50 pre-month training positions open, hoping at least 50 would show for class each month because 100-150 of those hired each month were also hired by 2 or 3 other airlines. Now they are still interviewing 240 amonth but I bet they are not hiring more than they need of those because they can now be extra picky because they know the people they hire will all show for class.

So, let me ask my question again:
Can anyone share some insight as to how many interviews in the past few months (ie after 9/11) were hired without 737 type ratings and how many were not hired without type rating. And How many had types but were not hired.

I have my type, but as someone said, that does not mean I will get hired. The boys at base X just want to know what the odds are. If it is 50-50 either way, then that is a decision they need to make. If it the odds are that not having a type hurts then they learned something from someone else.

Thanks and May God continue to bless you all.

Here's my 7.3 cents on the type rating:

No matter who you are in this post Sept. 11th world, you are absolutely insane to NOT get the type. When I interviewed on Jan 22, I believe we all had one to the best of my knowledge, military or not. The unofficial word I've heard (and there are always exceptions) is that in today's hiring climate, they are generally only interviewing typed applicants until the typed applicant pool runs out. And don't hold your breath for that, because the good folks at HPA and all those other places are busier than a one legged cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Also, the whole type issue - whether you have one or not - sends a glaring statement either way to the folks in the People Dept. about how much you really want to work there. What message do you want to send on the big day?

And now I've got a question for All Ya'all who are farther along in the process than I am:
I understand that future class dates are based on the interview date. True? So the poolie who interviewed on 1/17 will be ahead of me in the pool, right? How about the other 15 guys who interviewed on the same day? If hired, does that go by age, similar to an actual class date? Thanks guys. See you in DAL.

...ah the pool

We are not talking class date once hired. He is talking odds of hiring.
Like I said, I KNOW NOTHING, but my opinion still holds. NO for mil, GO for civ.
(where are the numbers jocks?)

Last edited:
In general, I would have to agree with PT...SWA wants people who are motivated for SWA...

Some stats (from an extremely small database): 3 from Base Y, hired with type in Feb DB (1 Mil and 1 Civ still waiting call w/type).

Feedback so far from 3 different interview groups in Jan, approx 80% had type. All but one out of those 3 groups who were hired (~33%) had type. (Not everyone has emailed results...vague, but you wanted some #s)

If you are serious about SWA, get the type you'll need it anyways, and as Ivaur said it speeds everything up.

*EDITED - Go with Chase's advice below...it worked for me.*

PT - Jennifer confirmed what Heather had told us at HPA:
Pool date = Later of actual interview date or type date (they may adjust slightly based on a few other factors...)

For training date, it is rumored they like a nice spread of ages and backgrounds in a class and that sometimes separates people with the same pool date.

Last edited:
Class Dates?

Pt,

Bob Beeks told me class dates are predicated on interview date and time !. Beyond that, who's to say? Age, alphabetically, your guess is as good as mine!

My recommendation is get the type. If SWA is your #1 choice & you'll be back for a 2nd try if the first doesn't work, then it makes sense. In terms of hard numbers, anything you get on here will be ancedotal, certainly not factual enough to base a decision on whether to get a type or not (IMHO). More things work to your advantage with a type vs. without a type. Except for the money aspect. Here is the only scenario I'd recommend no type for:

Quals: SWA minimums & not much more; sitting in PIC position
Employed: yes

Why?
Young: If you don't make it the first time, you're young enough to do it again.

Quals: Yes it is a competitive process & while your mins are the mins, by the time you get called for an interview (again with no type) in 8-12 months (unofficial estimate based upon how many folks who have types are out there) you will have much more than the mins...most folks who are flying now should have another 500 hrs or so. Assuming it is PIC time you'll logging more time each day prior to your DB

Employed: Obviously, you're current & logging time

All of this adds up to a long wait for an interview but if you don't get picked up the timeframe from your application to DB may exceed 1 yr. You're eligible to re-apply 2 yrs from your first application! You may have less than 1 yr to re-apply. Then you can make the assessment whether you want to show increased desire for getting hired by getting a type before your 2nd attempt.

Just my thoughts.
cheers

I don't know how accurate this is, as it is information from last summer.. I was told that there was one big pile of resumes in the people department. If you send in a resume with no type today, your resume will be put at the bottom of the pile for a call. If you send it in with the type, it would go in the pile somewhere near the middle, between the last guy with the type and the first guy without a type.. Now, when they need to call for interviews, they take the first one off the top and start calling.. Seems pretty straight forward to me.. The question that you need to weigh if considering not getting the type is how many folks do they have in that pile with the type rating? I've heard that the amount of resumes coming in per month has really picked up.. There is another catagory that I don't understand and that is the applicant that sends it in with no type.. then gets the type before the interview.. I don't know if they would put you at the back of the "typed" pile, or if they would put you into the "typed" pile according to the date that they recieved your original paperwork.. Anyway, for what it's worth...

S.B.

Straight from Dallas

Although the pace of phone calls has slowed, JM has said it will take up to a week to go through the stack. The only way to know if you are out for sure is to get the letter. If you have not heard anything by next Wed., give a call. Until then, walk to the mailbox with a straight back and a stiff upper lip.

Take Care All. CC

.......sooOOOO

Canine, does your wife know about all these calls to JEN?

YOU have cheered me up in one respect today: The letter is not in the mail, so it was NOT on the very bottom! We are practicing walking with walkers so we can keep vertical and going for STUBBORN and STUPID, like alex says.

What is interesting is how a bit more GOOD news seems to be trickling in than bad. Either they are all out drinking to forget or the letters have not gone out enmass.
I wonder if there is a gray middle that sits, unstamped, unlicked just seeing if the bunch at the top fall out?

Ah lack of dinner and tired eyes.

I just read an older post and want to know if Lindsey is calling too. There was something about being in one or the other's domain so I know we got the interview call from her, would that mean the DB results too?

Still hanging.

What a process!

But, it makes for great drama. I don't think I'd be wrong to say that everyone on this board is rooting for a positive outcome for your man.

Good Luck. Fingers are crossed for ya!

Latest resources

Back