SWA contract amendable- no pay raise?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
I dont know where you get your information, but you are totally and completely wrong once again.

Ryainair's CASM's are no where near 4.8 cents. Last I saw they were .057 Euro's which equates to 7.3 Cents per mile. Either you are a flat out liar or you can't seem to grasp the concept of simple research.

It aint that tough getting this information.
Ha you just typed in google "ryanair CASM", yeah, that is simple research. However, that data was from fiscal year 2004 for ryanair in which they had 50 airplanes. Now they have doubled the fleet and lowered the cost of operation by 30% since that report. I did do the research and I pulled that from the 2007FY quaterly results.

YourPilotFriend said:
It's wrong because you're not factoring in retirements, buy-outs, and possible mergers.

"possible mergers"? Are you kidding me? What merger could you be talking about?

Tejas

SWA/FO said:
75 employees per airplane! Lean and mean, baby!!!

Hey...thass right, baby !!! Remember when we were at almost at 90 employees per airplane....and Gary did pretty painlessly.

At my old legacy carrier, it was around 140 employees per airplane. And you could see it too, what with all the employees standing around doing nothing. It's probably down to around 110 employees per airplane now...with 55 minute turns at the hub.

No wonder they went into BK.

Tejas

YourPilotFriend said:
Ha you just typed in google "ryanair CASM", yeah, that is simple research. However, that data was from fiscal year 2004 for ryanair in which they had 50 airplanes. Now they have doubled the fleet and lowered the cost of operation by 30% since that report. I did do the research and I pulled that from the 2007FY quaterly results.

Hey dumba$$. Once again you are wrong. (As usual)

First of all the results were from 2005. NOT 2004. Actually in 2004 their CASM's were .053 Euros. In 2005 it rose to .057 Euros.

Secondly if you are using 2007 numbers then you are usuing forecast numbers only. No way to prove them.

Thirdly, there is no way in hell that Ryanair can have a CASM of 4.8 cents per mile. It is impossible.

Dangerkitty said:
Hey dumba$$. Once again you are wrong. (As usual)

First of all the results were from 2005. NOT 2004. Actually in 2004 their CASM's were .053 Euros. In 2005 it rose to .057 Euros.

Secondly if you are using 2007 numbers then you are usuing forecast numbers only. No way to prove them.

Thirdly, there is no way in hell that Ryanair can have a CASM of 4.8 cents per mile. It is impossible.
FY2005 = 2004 thus FY2007 = 2006. Those numbers are actually from 2003 in that report, so the actual exchange rate was 0.053 euros = 0.049 cents that was when the dollar was stronger.

I think the SWA pilots will be looking for ways to get "hidden" raises. Examples are to make it easier to get 'premium' pay and increase some premium pay rates such as when called to fly on a scheduled day off or when added on. Increase 401K and profit sharing. Other enhancements too. Some forget the 'hidden' decreases in pay when other airlines have decreased sick pay, training pay, vacation pay, and deadhead pay. Direct hourly pay rates are the main thing, but not the total picture.

Sorry to correct a fellow brother but 2Q06 numbers show slightly over 68 folks per airplane compared to a high of 92 2Q02. Still rather lean.

SWA/FO said:
75 employees per airplane! Lean and mean, baby!!!

Mach 80 said:
Some forget the 'hidden' decreases in pay when other airlines have decreased sick pay, training pay, vacation pay, and deadhead pay. Direct hourly pay rates are the main thing, but not the total picture.

Good point! Like some people worrying about us have to pay for parking, when we get Family Medical and Dental for $25 a month. Getting free parking and paying $275 a month for Medical is not a great deal. But I would like it if both were paid for.

The fuel hedge discussion is always interesting. Almost like it is magic or something in the eyes of those who aren't famliar with the concept. Nearly all major European, Far East major carrier have used fuel hedges for many years....not just near term but more importantly long term....remember these countries pay even higher for jet fuel many times & suffering shortages much worse than US carriers do.

Which airlines have the least amount of fuel hedges historically, year over year? The US. It hasn't been a part of their regular strategy pre-911 for who knows what reason....at SWA it has been. The '06 hedges we have now were bought '01 and staggered for years going forward, the same could be said of the '07 hedges & the '08....last quarter was the first time '10 hedges have shown up on the ledger...my poor memory recalls says they were in the low 60's....anyone want to bet at the end of the Q3 there will be more hedges purchased for '10 & probably at a lower price with the recent fall in oil? I'll bet that in '10, check back in on FI & see if there are folks saying "SWA's hedges are going to run out in '15.

Repeat after me, "it is a long term strategy, it is a long term strategy,...." buy on drops in the market, take calculated risks, highly trained & very smart folks who understand this inside & out (we have...for those who have suggestions on how to do it better, please forward your resume to SWA at [email protected] , I'm sure they have some openings). This isn't a business for the feint of heart or weak mind. One also needs to have cash to do it...we're fortunate that we do have the cash.

Costs are important & there are many things going forward to control those costs....starting to get -300 winglets next year to cut down fuel costs, lower maintenace costs with the new maintenance program maturing, fewer mx incidents as a result of operational changes to flight ops, new vendor for cups that resulted in dollar savings (not much but we count nickles too), testing of RFID bag tags to reduce the number of lost bags by better tracking of the bags in our system will increase savings due to fewer lost bags, other uses of technology to cut training costs in the years to come (distance learning) & many more innitiatives that are constantly coming forward.

There will be efficiencies proposed by both sides in the upcoming negotiations that will be looked at....what will come out of that is uncertain but one thing that will most likely happen is that SWA will have an even more efficient operations & SWA employees will be compensated fairly for their hard work. Rewarding producitivity isn't a bad theme....fuel hedges are but one piece of that pie...fortunately we're stil buying those pieces & will continue to do so for years to come.

I know my drivel won't stop the debate from those who know more....I'll move to the side and allow the experts to chime in. Cheer, Happy Labor Day to all us Laborers!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back