• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Attempts To Steal Routes - Denied

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which, of course, shows that really it was United trying to prevent competition. Monopolize the only two airline positions for that city pair, even though only one airline is using them. Why? To prevent any other airline from providing any competition. Sounds about right for Flop's airline.

Bubba

Right, we make premium revenue on that route and SWA is running out of low hanging fruit so why fix their model when you can supplement it with another airlines PRASM.

.......Your thought is wrong. The Mexican authorities are the final arbiter on who gets to fly there, and they were already directly involved. They indicated that they wanted Southwest to have route authority, and you can bet your bottom dollar that's the ONLY reason that United would ask them to just add supplemental rights.

Bubba

Wonder how many plasma TV's, crack w*************************, and cash SWA had to throw at Mexico to get them to consider TAKING a route from another airline curently using it and making money doing so.

I don't care what Southwest Airlines does as long as it benefits me. I hope they explore any and all new markets, to include int'l out of HOU, FLL and maybe PHX down the road. Belize is pending approval. Hope they add two new int'l cities a year not counting Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal, which I hope they add as soon as possible.

Dousche. And most of us now hope the FAA fines you into oblivion. :uzi:

Hey Ex, Im sure you know that DAL is in violation of the Wright Ammendment compromise because they are flying out of both airports. But I guess it is ok for DAL to get special treatment....right???!!!

Are they replacing them. Last I heard the fleet was smaller. One for one would be great.

And as Gary mentioned, we have a significant amount of activity. We're managing the share as we wind down the AirTran brand and phase out the AirTran 717 fleet. But at a high level, we've been managing to a relatively flat fleet through the end of 2015, give or take few aircrafts with the baseline of roughly 695 aircrafts, which was our combined fleet at the time of the AirTran acquisition.

In summary, we have not set our 2015 plans, but we have options to flex capacity up or down as needed, and our Classic retirement plan was built to provide flexibility and we can also augment our fleet needs through the pre -owned aircraft. We may augment that beyond what we had disclosed in our press release, but, again all with the intention to manage to a flat fleet of 695 aircrafts.
http://filecache.drivetheweb.com/ir1_southwest/544/download/LUV_1Q14_Transcript.pdf

Right, we make premium revenue on that route and SWA is running out of low hanging fruit so why fix their model when you can supplement it with another airlines PRASM.

And why do you make "premium revenue" on that route? Uh, that would be because of your enforced monopoly, where you can charge whatever you want, due lack of competition.

Wonder how many plasma TV's, crack w*************************, and cash SWA had to throw at Mexico to get them to consider TAKING a route from another airline curently using it and making money doing so.

I would guess we threw at them exactly nothing. I suspect that the Mexican government is sick of your monopoly as well, and would also like to see competition. Seeing as how their citizens are the ones forking over the "premium revenue" to pad United's coffers.

Any more questions?

Bubba

Dousche. And most of us now hope the FAA fines you into oblivion. :uzi:

"Fines us into oblivion" for what? Encroaching on your monopoly? Providing actual competition? Exploring new international routes where we can make money? Those things?

You know, I don't think you understand how capitalism actually works (or the FAA, for that matter).

Bubba

And why do you make "premium revenue" on that route? Uh, that would be because of your enforced monopoly, where you can charge whatever you want, due lack of competition.

I would guess we threw at them exactly nothing. I suspect that the Mexican government is sick of your monopoly as well, and would also like to see competition. Seeing as how their citizens are the ones forking over the "premium revenue" to pad United's coffers.

Any more questions?

Bubba

That you're brain can formulate those thoughts, is incredible.*

We make a reasonable premium over some competitors because we offer first class, a civilized boarding process, and global hub connectivity (and more). You're really confused about Central and South American passengers. Plenty of them want these amenities. Especially if they're in the oil business. And btw I'm not referring to sun tan oil. Which is probably the best dileiniation of what our two airlines will be doing our of Houston.

Also Bubba, you just got a perfect example of how the Mexican govt feels about your airline. Your attempt to seize routes from a competitor were denied. Immediate and publicly it was made clear that SWA will not pull any favors to tip the market. This is going to be a vibrant market inclusive of ALL competition. Which of course ALL participants are willing and ready to go, except you guys and your mayoral backed experiment at Hobby...

*The collective ego at SWA must be a very fragile thing. Idk, I guess the success has just come too easy or something. You guys just got your pee pee whacked for acting like you're entitled to something. That instead they still approved your flying was just as much accommodation as it was a warning: everybody gets an opportunity to compete.

Latest resources

Back