• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/ATA revisited

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In this case, the lesser of the evils is to combat the whipsaw in future contracts and stay separate. In this case, it would be far more ugly to try and merge the groups because of massive displacements and WA and NApilots would end up on the street. Think about it, 20 some airplanes will probably be leaving ATA and you want to have those pilots to displace pilots at World and North American?

At World, the consensus seems to be that most of us are against integration.....and for good reason.

Not to mention that WO and NA are Teamsters and ATA is ALPA. It would surely be too much of a mess.
There are ways to structure an integration that would mitigate your concerns. In any case, a single group is always preferable to three disparate groups bidding against each other. As a former member of the Red Tail whipsaw, I speak from experience.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Year 1 Captain's pay on the 10 was 141hr and now it is 145hr as of this month. For years 1 through 9, ATA's DC-10 Captain's pay is well behind World's and they finally reach parity at 148hr in year 10.

I guarantee there isn't a DC-10 Capt. at ATA that has been with the company for less than 12 years, so you arguement about pay for years 1-9 are completely mute. Secondly, if EVERYONE is on reserve at World, you have a valid point that World pilots get an extra hour a month guarantee, and since I have never seen any of your lines and don't know what your average line is built to, all I can go by is your screwed up 65 hour guarantee for line holders, which means on a monthly basis, if your lines don't exceed 65 hours, you are getting paid less monthly than the ATA guys....either way, your post about GAL giving World additional DC-10's because of it being a superior operation is ridiculous.

That then shows either a lack of initiative, motivation, or brains. Or maybe a combination of all three. When I was a teenager, I cut grass in the summer for money. While the job was rewarding in it's own way, I always wanted to do better. I guess that's where you and I differ.

WOW! That has to be one of the most ignorant postings I have ever seen. I have friends at ATA and they really like working there. It's a unique environment and maybe not for everyone, but a lot of pilots like the adventure of flying all over the world versus the same routes over and over. Not disparaging anyones choices, different strokes for different folks. These guys are a class act and some of the better aviators in the business.
Tanker Clown, I think I read somewere you said you were grounded do to a cancer scare? If that is so, you've got to change your thoughts dude or you're going to make yourself sick again, there is a definite connection between your attitude and your health. You seem to do nothing but attack people on here and are bitter because you are not flying? If you don't stop worrying about every other pilots choices on here you are risking your health big time, stop spending all your time attacking people and do something productive, it will do wonders for your health.

This thread was born out of the posting that SWA was looking at ATA scheduled service again, so I'll try and get it back on track.>>>

First of all, it is way too early to hear anyone talk about integration, since the initial post was just what somebody heard from somebody else, nothing more. Right away ATA guys start jumping the gun talking about integration....just relax and see where this all goes before you start figuring out where you think you should fall in SWA's seniority list.

Secondly, let's be real here, SWA already took everything they could ever want from ATA...period. Their $40mil got them more gates at MDW (blocking competition from getting the gates as well), took ATA off of most competeing routes out of MDW (allowing increased fares on those routes) and even got them a nice hangar. That $40 mil was paid back to SWA in one form or another in about a year. So, what does ATA have left? Seriously? If SWA wants to go international there are plenty better airlines to pick from than ATA, we all know that and so do their pilots. Bottom line is that ATA has no value so why would SWA want to pay something for nothing? ATA isn't even on the top of the DOD's list of airlines right now (because of reliability), so why would SWA trust their reliability?

and since I have never seen any of your lines and don't know what your average line is built to, all I can go by is your screwed up 65 hour guarantee for line holders,

Translation; "I have no idea what what it is like to work for World so I'll just talk out of my ass." You don't know the half of it. There are plenty of pilots at World making a killing....., even FO's and FE's i.e. some very sweet rules in regard to reserve. Given that you called all the pilots at World whores makes it a waste of time to explain it to you.

which means on a monthly basis, if your lines don't exceed 65 hours, you are getting paid less monthly than the ATA guys

Again, your reasoning (or lack thereof) is flawed.....especially considering that you have zero knowledge of our lines and work rules.

either way, your post about GAL giving World additional DC-10's because of it being a superior operation is ridiculous.

Actually, World is a much better managed airline than ATA, even ATA pilots will tell you that their management sucks. Like I said, which airline is turning a profit and which hasn't for several years even when every other sched was in the black?

BTW ATA pilots, I am not implying that one pilot group is better than the other.

What's your problem? Did you get turned down by World and ATA at one time or another? Whatever you bitter ignoramus.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Trust me, if I had to work at World or ATA let alone be turned down by them I would consider my aviation career a total failure....

please enlighten us as to your airline and seat because someday and I want to grow up and be just like you! :puke:

i certainly wouldn't want to have a failed aviation career like all of those miserable losers at ATA or World.

dude,:smash: to make the dumb ass generalizations that you made in this thread means you must have some kind of problem with low self-esteem. better voluntarily surrender your medical until you can get your psych issues worked out!:laugh:

I'm pretty sure that when people get into aviation it isn't their dream to be a CRJ CA Mesa....or an ATA (insert seat and equipment here). Let's call a spade a spade...or in this case a stepping stone a stepping stone.

Latest resources

Back