Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA App Mistake..Interview Next month...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ChinaClipper

I am an idiot, got called for an SWA interview and have found after the call, that my app has 2 small mistakes. 1) I forgot to include a long lost ticket (10+ years ago) that my wife reminded me of. 2) my Palm pilot has been incorrectly computing my TT. It incorrectly added a small number of pay credits as hours TTL, (which I put on the app a few months ago) after auditing my paper logbooks, I found the error. Obviously, I have to correct these items........Soooooooooo..... do so on the app or wait to the interview and correct it then......any ideas? Gracias.......

Correct it

ChinaClipper said:
I am an idiot, got called for an SWA interview and have found after the call, that my app has 2 small mistakes. 1) I forgot to include a long lost ticket (10+ years ago) that my wife reminded me of. 2) my Palm pilot has been incorrectly computing my TT. It incorrectly added a small number of pay credits as hours TTL, (which I put on the app a few months ago) after auditing my paper logbooks, I found the error. Obviously, I have to correct these items........Soooooooooo..... do so on the app or wait to the interview and correct it then......any ideas? Gracias.......

Go to the website yesterday and get the info correct. They pull the website info about a week or so before the interview. They probably won't know you changed it, but if they ask, fess up, nough said. Oh, good luck:)

I agree. I have an interview scheduled, and the invitation letter says to update your online app one week prior to the interview. So I would make sure the correct information is in there.

ChinaClipper said:

A ticket 10 years ago is of no importance. I think anyone that asks says "within the last 7 years". Anyone could understand if you forgot.

The total time is different. fix it and point it out to someone in the people department before you get to the interview. I would call the people department. That gives them a chance to evaluate its importance and emphasizes that you don't want to hide anything.

This is a good time to practice "tell me about a time". This will be your first story to tell the people department. Remember--positive spin. Keep your cool, accept full responsibility and be a problem solver. They may say don't worry about it. Particularly if you explain it in a respectful manner and ask for their guidance.

Last edited:
I think I would fess up before the interview. Here is why. It might look to the People Department (even though not the case) that you "forgot" to include the ticket, and now that you have an interview, you are going to "fess up" to it on the application. I would fess up to the hours also.

When you call them, tell them the story, and let them decide if they still want to interview you. I can hardly imagine them saying no, unless you do not meet their mins. I would way rather speak to someone prior then someone who "appears" to be pulling a fast one.

Just my two cents....and only my opinion from my experience on the "other side of the desk." You are the one who ultimately has to make the decision.

I agree with Resume Writer. Fess up now. The ticket should be no problemo, but the hours could be if they were what got you the interview. How much were you off? 100 out of 5000, or 100 out of 1400? If 1500 - 1700 PIC hours are competitive (Just a guess, don't know) and you had 1400 but "accidentally" padded it to 1525, I would think you were a scamming dirtbag if the first time I heard it was at the interview. Call the People Folks up and let them know. Sounds like an honest mistake at face value, and they appreciate honesty. So will the folks you fly with. Good luck.

Lindsay Lang told our class that each new application completely kicks out the old one. I asked her about adding some PIC turbine time that I had mistakenly left out, fearing that they'd see a sudden rise and get suspicious and she said it doesn't work that way.

About the driving record, the other day I took my license into the Ohio DMV and for $5.50 they printed me a copy of what's on my record. I'm sure your state will do this too. It was money well spent knowing exactly what they will find.

no, no, no

forget the ticket, its long gone from any database unless its a felony.
If its a few hours... fix your logbook, I'm sure you can find a way to do that. Highlighting yourself to the HR dept sounds noble but most likely will cost you the job. Let us know how this turns out.

TheCheat said:
Lindsay Lang told our class that each new application completely kicks out the old one. I asked her about adding some PIC turbine time that I had mistakenly left out, fearing that they'd see a sudden rise and get suspicious and she said it doesn't work that way.

That might be a fact. However, let's say the parameters are 1500 PIC. On the back-end when searching for candidates they put that number in and it pulls the people with those numbers.

Now let's say that our person only has 1300 hours of PIC really because of his mistake. They pull his new updated resume just prior to the interview and it shows the discrepancy. They wonder why and "pull" the history, which I would be willing to bet could be pulled, on the file. It shows a discrepancy, and then the question of integrity starts.

I would way rather err on the side of a proactive response instead of a reactive one. It will show honesty and integrity.

You've got 5500 hours with a presumeably a lot of narrow body time. In none of my interviews (3, and got all three jobs), nobody even asked about my flying time. If you were a commuter guy with min time, they might be more interested. With me, they saw the experience level, aircraft flown, year flying each, etc. After a certain point, a few hundred hours of flying time is irrelevant to an interviewer.

The ticket . . . if it's not on your driving record anymore. forget it. You did get a copy of your record and check it, didn't you????

Latest resources

Back