SWA Announces DEN Routes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mdf said:
I don't know what everyone has against Wal-Mart. I mean where else can you run in and get a bag of beef jerky, and jumper cables?

And rubbers and beer!

mdf said:
I don't know what everyone has against Wal-Mart. I mean where else can you run in and get a bag of beef jerky, and jumper cables?

How about Costco. Even if it costs you more.

"Burt Flickinger, managing director of consulting firm Strategic Marketing, estimates that Wal-Mart spends 70 percent less per employee on all benefits, including health care and pension plans, than unionized retailers. Union shops, which include supermarkets and wholesale clubs, pay anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 in all benefits per full-time employee."

"Wal-Mart's benefits costs jumped to $4.2 billion this year, from $2.8 billion in 2002, and the company noted that its workers are getting sicker than the national average, particularly with obesity-related diseases.
At the same time, the company acknowledged the current insurance plan is unaffordable to many people. In fact, less than half of Wal-Mart employees are on company insurance, compared with more than 80 percent at Costco Wholesale Corp.
David West, executive director for The Center for a Changing Workforce, a nonprofit research group, says the company's new health care alternative -which lets employees pay between 40 percent and 60 percent less in premiums than under the current plan - is inadequate because it still has a $1,000 deductible. Costco's deductible is $200."

"Critics should not underestimate Wal-Mart's ability to come out ahead. It has grown to be the world's largest company by its ability to react to changes quickly. The company, which once only sold American-made goods, is now buying billions of dollars worth of merchandise in China, finding the cheapest goods to lower costs."

OffHot said:
Hey Chuck, Southwest dosen't equal WalMart,,,we pay better.

For now....who knows what the future holds. Take it from moi, never, ever, think it can't happen to you.

Mugs said:
How about Costco. Even if it costs you more.

"Burt Flickinger, managing director of consulting firm Strategic Marketing, estimates that Wal-Mart spends 70 percent less per employee on all benefits, including health care and pension plans, than unionized retailers. Union shops, which include supermarkets and wholesale clubs, pay anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 in all benefits per full-time employee."

"Wal-Mart's benefits costs jumped to $4.2 billion this year, from $2.8 billion in 2002, and the company noted that its workers are getting sicker than the national average, particularly with obesity-related diseases.
At the same time, the company acknowledged the current insurance plan is unaffordable to many people. In fact, less than half of Wal-Mart employees are on company insurance, compared with more than 80 percent at Costco Wholesale Corp.
David West, executive director for The Center for a Changing Workforce, a nonprofit research group, says the company's new health care alternative -which lets employees pay between 40 percent and 60 percent less in premiums than under the current plan - is inadequate because it still has a $1,000 deductible. Costco's deductible is $200."

"Critics should not underestimate Wal-Mart's ability to come out ahead. It has grown to be the world's largest company by its ability to react to changes quickly. The company, which once only sold American-made goods, is now buying billions of dollars worth of merchandise in China, finding the cheapest goods to lower costs."

And you call me uptight?

Southwest = Walmart. Wha?

Chuck Yogurt said:
Southwest = Wal-Mart

I think SouthWest has a pretty good business model, but don't feel the same way about Wal-mart's (particularly in regards to it's employees). I honestly don't get the comparison you make; it's apples and oranges to me... I can fly the hell out of an ILS, but this stuff is still somewhere beyond. Educate us lesser folk, Yogurt (or anyone).

-vic

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back