SWA and the illustrious 2nd interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think I posted this somewhere else.

I spoke with somone in pilot recruiting yesterday.

They aren't looking to interview too many prior applicants. She said that they're interviewing about 2% of those that have interviewed prior. SWA is interested in those that have recent types and haven't interviewed before.

Good luck.

That doesn't seem right. Many people went out and bought the type because it was the only way to get an interview. They knew guys who interviewed twice to get the job. Now they're saying they're only interviewing 2% of the guys who interviewed before? I thought spending the money for the type was a gamble that showed them how willing and to what lengths you would go to just to get an interview. And now they're treating it like a one and done?

I got hired on my second try. At the time the calls were running 18 months from the first interview. The second time was night and day better than the first, because of me and because of them. It's definitely worth a second shot, especially in today's climate.

As for the 2% - those numbers can sometime be misleading (intentionally?) or misunderstood. Is it possible that she meant 2% of interviewees would be 2nd timers? One of the PD gals told me that normally 5% of a given interview group (per month) is 2nd timers. The other information I gleaned from various sources is that to get called for your 2nd, you had to do decent on your 1st. Also, something like 75% of 2nd timers get hired. I believe this is due to selecting 2nd timers based on solid 1st interview performance, the 2nd interview performance improving (like anything else you do the 2nd time), and possibly more leniency from the interviewers and/or the decision board.

Anyway, my information is worth as much as the other stuff you get over the internets. Good luck and don't give up if this is where you want to be!

I got hired on my second try. At the time the calls were running 18 months from the first interview. The second time was night and day better than the first, because of me and because of them. It's definitely worth a second shot, especially in today's climate.

As for the 2% - those numbers can sometime be misleading (intentionally?) or misunderstood. Is it possible that she meant 2% of interviewees would be 2nd timers? One of the PD gals told me that normally 5% of a given interview group (per month) is 2nd timers. The other information I gleaned from various sources is that to get called for your 2nd, you had to do decent on your 1st. Also, something like 75% of 2nd timers get hired. I believe this is due to selecting 2nd timers based on solid 1st interview performance, the 2nd interview performance improving (like anything else you do the 2nd time), and possibly more leniency from the interviewers and/or the decision board.

Anyway, my information is worth as much as the other stuff you get over the internets. Good luck and don't give up if this is where you want to be!

Thanks Comp,
Your positive spin on things makes me feel a little better about second chances! Honestly that 2% news was bumming me out!
I interviewed w/o the type back in Sept of 2000. I felt like I did real well but I should have been a little less formal with them. I think I was basically out gunned by others that morning as 6 from my group of 13 got called.
I recently got the the type and have about a 100 hrs flying the 737 now, only to be furloughed this fall. Just about the time I'll be real comfy in it for crying out loud! My stats are about 17k total time, 10k pic 121 turbo prop, a good attitude and about 8 guys at SWA that will write letters for me. I've even received update form letters from SWA during the last few years (before my type), but I still cant seem to get the phone to ring!
:confused:

I would make sure you have NO errors on your online app. I got my type and never heard anything. Guys at the same employer as me with same qualifications, but less time, were getting called for interviews. Went over my app and found a 1 month gap in my 10 year history. Fixed the error and got a call for interview 2 days later! I got rejected, but kept updating religiously! Got another shot and was successful the 2nd time. Only thing I did different the second time was try to CONVINCE THEM it was the place I wanted to make a career! Good Luck!

Thanks Comp,
Your positive spin on things makes me feel a little better about second chances! Honestly that 2% news was bumming me out!
I interviewed w/o the type back in Sept of 2000. I felt like I did real well but I should have been a little less formal with them. I think I was basically out gunned by others that morning as 6 from my group of 13 got called.
I recently got the the type and have about a 100 hrs flying the 737 now, only to be furloughed this fall. Just about the time I'll be real comfy in it for crying out loud! My stats are about 17k total time, 10k pic 121 turbo prop, a good attitude and about 8 guys at SWA that will write letters for me. I've even received update form letters from SWA during the last few years (before my type), but I still cant seem to get the phone to ring!
:confused:

No problem - it's easy to get discouraged (as well I know) when so much rides on so little.

As someone mentioned, make sure your app is accurate and keep it up to date. I would call the PD once the pool starts getting shallow and just make sure that everything looks good on your app. FWIW, my take after having been intimately involved in the SWA application process for a couple years:

1. PIC (and your 1st interview performance in the case of 2nd timers like you) gets you the interview call. As long as your app is up to date, then they will get to you as they work their way down the list. I had a couple of excellent inside contacts, but they didn't help get me the call any earlier the 2nd time.

While I was waiting the PD told me how long the times were until people were getting the call for their 2nd interviews. Once interviews start up again, I think that is a fair question to ask (although you may not get an answer depending on who you talk to).

2. The hiring decision is based primarily on your interview performance. I had tons of online recs, had my buds talk to the different Chief Pilots before the decision board, yadda, yadda... and still got turned down. Cross your t's and dot your i's (still do all the 'good ol' boy' stuff like letters, recs, paperwork in order, etc..), but remember that the interview is the KEY. If you are doing well it will feel like a BS session, not formal AT ALL - I saw both sides of this.

When or if you get the call again, I'm sure you'll prepare like you have a snowball's chance in hell, but realize going forward that it's your job to lose at that point: 25% hire rate for first timers, 75% for second timers. When I walked by the interview area when I started training, my buddy commented on how it made him nervous just to see all of it again. I said (and honestly meant) that it seemed so familiar it was like being at home. If you do it right, the second one will go MUCH better (as I said - because of you and because of them).

Good luck and stay positive or this whole industry will drive you crazy! I am an absolute firm believer in the power of perseverance above almost all else.

"If you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right."

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
~ Calvin Coolidge

While searching for the above quote, I came across this one which seemed particularly appropriate (although hopefully it won't take any more than 2):

"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries."
~ James A. Michener

No problem - it's easy to get discouraged (as well I know) when so much rides on so little.

As someone mentioned, make sure your app is accurate and keep it up to date. I would call the PD once the pool starts getting shallow and just make sure that everything looks good on your app. FWIW, my take after having been intimately involved in the SWA application process for a couple years:

1. PIC (and your 1st interview performance in the case of 2nd timers like you) gets you the interview call. As long as your app is up to date, then they will get to you as they work their way down the list. I had a couple of excellent inside contacts, but they didn't help get me the call any earlier the 2nd time.

While I was waiting the PD told me how long the times were until people were getting the call for their 2nd interviews. Once interviews start up again, I think that is a fair question to ask (although you may not get an answer depending on who you talk to).

2. The hiring decision is based primarily on your interview performance. I had tons of online recs, had my buds talk to the different Chief Pilots before the decision board, yadda, yadda... and still got turned down. Cross your t's and dot your i's (still do all the 'good ol' boy' stuff like letters, recs, paperwork in order, etc..), but remember that the interview is the KEY. If you are doing well it will feel like a BS session, not formal AT ALL - I saw both sides of this.

When or if you get the call again, I'm sure you'll prepare like you have a snowball's chance in hell, but realize going forward that it's your job to lose at that point: 25% hire rate for first timers, 75% for second timers. When I walked by the interview area when I started training, my buddy commented on how it made him nervous just to see all of it again. I said (and honestly meant) that it seemed so familiar it was like being at home. If you do it right, the second one will go MUCH better (as I said - because of you and because of them).

Good luck and stay positive or this whole industry will drive you crazy! I am an absolute firm believer in the power of perseverance above almost all else.

"If you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right."

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
~ Calvin Coolidge

While searching for the above quote, I came across this one which seemed particularly appropriate (although hopefully it won't take any more than 2):

"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries."
~ James A. Michener

Thanks again Comp,
What you wrote is very true, the job offers I 've received usually came from interviews that had an informal tone. (I think that happens when you start to click with your interviewers). Michener wrote some good stuff, the quote is very fitting for this situation. (although showing enough character on a second attempt would suit me just fine! Alas if it take 5 attempts so be it!)
Happy 4th to you,
Z.

That was classless.

People DIED... and you're going to make fun of it?

Unbelievable... (Shakes head).

I agree, it seems the village idiot has spoken.......

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back