SWA and the illustrious 2nd interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Max Powers

Interviewed a few years ago, what are the chances for that second shot? What are the variable involved that I should consider? Any second time interviewers care to share how they did it? Thoughts please girls and boys?

Also got a buddy who is pondering the type. He has 2200 PIC turbine prop 121 time
1700 fo airbus time
7000 hours total

If he goes for the type chances of getting called for an interview?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Interviewed a few years ago, what are the chances for that second shot? What are the variable involved that I should consider? Any second time interviewers care to share how they did it? Thoughts please girls and boys?

Also got a buddy who is pondering the type. He has 2200 turbine prop 121 time
1700 fo airbus time
7000 hours total

If he goes for the type chances of getting called for an interview?

Thanks in advance

How much PIC turbine time does he have?

He is absolutely competitive with those times. Check airman/instructor/leadership positions also help. Chances of getting a call with the type....75-80% Just a wag on my part.

2nd interview was a charm for me. Interviewed in Spring of '01. Spring of '04 a friend convinced me go go with him to a Air Inc Seminar. Thought I made a connection with a Southwest Person at the Seminar and sure enough I got a call in less than a week for an interview.

I had 6500 hours, 3500 Pic Turbine and was a check-airman on an EMB145.

Keep on trying...its a great job...for now.

I had to interview twice. I lucked out and only had to wait a year to date from the first interview. The only thing I had diffferent is a little more time in my military aircraft since I only had a few hours out of UPT in it and went from a 135 company to a 121 company that had very heavy jets but was on mil leave the whole time I was there and never got any time in the larger jets. Other than that it seems like I did not do anything different. I still can't figure it out. just keep updating your stuff. I did every month from when the system allowed me to.

I flew with a captain here that told me it was the 4th try that made the difference. I would say go for it man. Smile and tell them how glad you are to be back. Send the thank you note from a mail box at the hotel. Good luck

I flew with a captain here that told me it was the 4th try that made the difference. I would say go for it man. Smile and tell them how glad you are to be back. Send the thank you note from a mail box at the hotel. Good luck

Agree totally. TELL THEM you want the job. I have had many friends go through 2 and even 3 times before getting on(before my time started here). Good luck!

I also know a guy that got in on his fourth try! He has been with SWA for a little over a year now.

Never give up!

As far as getting the interview...I think the key to being competitive for the second interview is if they can see year over year growth on your part. Not just flight time, but perhaps some sort of leadership role (Check Airman, IP, FO to Captain, etc.), and update every month. Just my opinon!

Latest resources

Back