• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and the B717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You might see them in Denver but I have three steak dinners that say you will not see them in California.

I'll take that bet. . . . . . And I doubt they'll be very useful out of Denver in the summer, unless they have the higher-rated engines or aren't going far.

Last edited:
I'll take that bet. . . . . . And I doubt they'll be very useful out of Denver in the summer, unless they have the higher-rated engines or aren't going far.

I could see Witchita and Des Moines flight on 717 to Denver and Chicago.

As far as California, there are very rarely any 500's flying there, maybe a couple a day. The combined number of flights is way over 400 a day, probably closer to 500, so how many 717's would be there. When the rolling swaps start it won't do any good when the next arrival is a 717.

I could be wrong and would be the first to admit it but they are much more likely to stay between MCO, ATL, BWI, and MDW, in my opinion.

I'm guessing ATL, MDW, and DAL bases. It could cover pretty much all the short haul in the country from those 3 bases...

Doesn't anyone else understand what a "white elephant" the 717 is? It's a terrific airrplane but to keep it would be a drastic departure from the tried and true tenet of the SWA basic business model? It must cost Boeing a fortune to support since there is very little in common with the DC-9, especially in LRUs. I can't see how Boeing would view it as anything but a giant headache.

It may be a "white elephant" to Boeing, but it won't be a "white elephant" to SWA. Boeing will be forced to continue very favorable lease terms as a way to keep the aircraft from being parked in the desert.

I don't think Boeing has anything to do with the lease, it's all GE. GE may coerce Boeing into updating or maintaining supply stocks for those rare parts, but it's all GE.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back