Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and 737 type-rating -- Federal investigation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You took extreme liberties with the word promise. You perhaps meant to say to enhance your potential at being called for an interview.

No matter how you slice it...you MUST have the type to work at SWA. Who cares what their criteria was at the time you applied....

crazy

Yea I have the gun that Southwest Airlines held to my head to get they type also......How dumb is this thread. NEWS FLASH! I got it cause I wanted too!

Nothin but "LUV"!

It was simply an economic decision at the time.

This is such a BS thread.

Even assuming that the original poster is correct and SWA does require a pilot to get a type rating from a flight school that they approve, and even if you assume that they do get a kick-back from that flight school there would still be no violation of any law that any government agency would have cause to investigate.

The original poster is obviously new to aviation (or at least civilian aviation), there are way more insidious things a company can do to a pilot than require a type rating to be hired.

Remember PFT? Remember training contracts? What about pay to fly "First Officer Programs"? There are way worse things that were far more prevalant 10-15 years ago. This is one of the few trends that are going in pilots favor.

Later

Yes there should!! I'm sure SWA has a great interest in receiving kickbacks that may reach into the hundreds of dollars from such "preferred" type rating schools. A friend of mine heard from somebody that Southwest would not have made a profit for the last few years if it weren't for these kickbacks!
ygtbsm

This is such a BS thread.

Even assuming that the original poster is correct and SWA does require a pilot to get a type rating from a flight school that they approve, and even if you assume that they do get a kick-back from that flight school there would still be no violation of any law that any government agency would have cause to investigate.

The original poster is obviously new to aviation (or at least civilian aviation), there are way more insidious things a company can do to a pilot than require a type rating to be hired.

Remember PFT? Remember training contracts? What about pay to fly "First Officer Programs"? There are way worse things that were far more prevalant 10-15 years ago. This is one of the few trends that are going in pilots favor.

Later

How is requiring you to get a type rating for the job any different than the pay for training programs?...I really don't see a difference. Either program keeps you out until you pay...period. Call it what you want.

I once had to pay for a college education in order to apply for a job in the HOPES of getting an interivew...

...am I missing something?

Yes...paying for college...you are more marketable. You are not as likely to get hired by a legacy or low cost carrier like SWA without. Not all airlines require pay for training or buy your type to get the job...and yes you have to pass the interview. There are several commuters that did not have pay for training programs, and several legacy or low cost carriers that do not require you to get your type...in fact there are some today that give you a PIC TYPE in the aircraft at the end of training...for free.

Yes...paying for college...you are more marketable. You are not as likely to get hired by a legacy or low cost carrier like SWA without. Not all airlines require pay for training or buy your type to get the job...and yes you have to pass the interview. There are several commuters that did not have pay for training programs, and several legacy or low cost carriers that do not require you to get your type...in fact there are some today that give you a PIC TYPE in the aircraft at the end of training...for free.

Not free, you just have to pay for it with super low first year pay and/or no health insurance for 6 months...

Latest resources

Back