Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and 737 type-rating -- Federal investigation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess my point, contrail, is that SWA has or has had in the past, a MINIMUM qualification for either an interview or job offer, right?

How is this any different from any other company having a minimum standard to either qualify for an interview (say, like a 4 year degree) or a minimum standard to qualify for a job offer?

In the cases of BOTH of these companies, someone wanting to be considered is required at some point to meet those qualifications.

Doesn't matter if it's paying for a college degree or paying for a type rating. I see no difference.

Shouldn't there be an investigation into whether illegal activity is involved in the funneling of pilot applicants into "preferred" type-schools, rejecting most of the qualified interviewees, then placing those lucky to be hired into a pool for years while the airline continues to actively recruit, interview, and steer additional batches of applicants into their buddies' $6,000.00 type-rating schools?

Sounds to me like:

1) A pyramid scheme.
2) Possible corruption.
3) Fraudulent misrepresentation.

....but that may all be a misperception on my part....

I Don't think there is any validity to that.

However, I do think SWA needs to think whether or not pressuring someone into spending $8-9k plus expenses, just to get an interview is a good idea. The pressure is significant especially for the Regional crowd. Imagine your company is in Bankruptcy you have been displaced twice furloughed once and looking at another furlough and the only way you can get even an interview is to get the Type. That is some massive pressure going into the interview. Thats what happened to me and I let the pressure get to me; hence poor performance in interview. Out of the 12 I interviewed with 3 got the job and the ones that did were NOT faced with the pressures I and others had. Coincidence.... I think not.

However, I do think SWA needs to think whether or not pressuring someone into spending $8-9k plus expenses, just to get an interview is a good idea.

Uhh...man, you got it all wrong. SWA is NOT pressuring ANYONE that does not want to be pressured!

That corporation has set MINIMUM standards to either be considered for an interview or offered a job. NOTHING MORE.

CHRIST, you're practically calling it DURESS.

Dude, put it in perspective. It's just the rules of the game. If you don't like 'em, you don't have to play.

It really is as simple as that.

I guess my point, contrail, is that SWA has or has had in the past, a MINIMUM qualification for either an interview or job offer, right?

How is this any different from any other company having a minimum standard to either qualify for an interview (say, like a 4 year degree) or a minimum standard to qualify for a job offer?

In the cases of BOTH of these companies, someone wanting to be considered is required at some point to meet those qualifications.

Doesn't matter if it's paying for a college degree or paying for a type rating. I see no difference.

No big deal...if that is what is needed to get a job, then that is what is needed.....then there are those that have no other option...or it is their own personal choice. To each his own.

Not free, you just have to pay for it with super low first year pay and/or no health insurance for 6 months...

Had insurance from day 1...best insurance I have ever had....also don't forget the lower probationary pay does include 16% retirement fund that is put in by the company...helps some.

Uhh...man, you got it all wrong. SWA is NOT pressuring ANYONE that does not want to be pressured!

That corporation has set MINIMUM standards to either be considered for an interview or offered a job. NOTHING MORE.

CHRIST, you're practically calling it DURESS.

Dude, put it in perspective. It's just the rules of the game. If you don't like 'em, you don't have to play.

It really is as simple as that.

I don't disagree with what you say.......However, I think you failed to see or appreciate my point. My point is: perhaps SWA should think more on a moral or ethical scale when considering their "MINIMUM standards".

Not everyone has a rich Mommy and Daddy such as yourself. And some of us have families to support.

I don't disagree with what you say.......However, I think you failed to see or appreciate my point. My point is: perhaps SWA should think more on a moral or ethical scale when considering their "MINIMUM standards".

Not everyone has a rich Mommy and Daddy such as yourself. And some of us have families to support.

Soooo...if it's not good for you then it's not good ethics or morals? You remind me of my kids when they were four.

Soooo...if it's not good for you then it's not good ethics or morals? You remind me of my kids when they were four.

Great come back......Your ideas to rebut my statements, remind me of your IQ.

You obviously came from the military and unlike myself became institutionalized, I fought hard to keep my individuality whilst in the Military. Lets see straight from Government pay to SWA yea you have a real clue how the rest of us see the world. Now lets see if you can say something smart and disagree with me in an adult and mature way. Or are you going to call me a 4 year old again?

Last edited:

I didn't have a rich mommy or daddy. I saved a little from every paycheck until I had the money for the type. Then I went and got my type knowing it did not guarantee anything. I was hoping I would be more competitive and be called for an interview.

It was my plan and I set myself up for it. Thankfully it ended in a great job. SWA's process is well known and is not unethical or immoral. Job requirements are known to all and there are many ways to meet the qualifications; buying the type is only one way.

Latest resources

Back