SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you can roll the dice with the arbitrators

Sure thing or you can roll the dice! OY6 wants you guys to roll the dice, while he watches. My guess, is ALPA/SWAPA will work this out. No one wants to roll the dice.

Sure thing or you can roll the dice! OY6 wants you guys to roll the dice, while he watches. My guess, is ALPA/SWAPA will work this out. No one wants to roll the dice.

We'll see what the "sure thing" is (if there is one) and then we'll vote on it.

The only sure thing about about all of this is that GK is in control if we don't come to an agreement. Not ALPA and not the abitors.

Most of us in SWAPA do not fear arbitration. However, I don't like risk in regard to my career. Absolutely arbitration is a risk, even if I don't fear it. It's why I'd prefer an agreement to anything else. Citrus ALPA also takes a risk in going to arbitration, even if they don't believe it. It's very possible that ALPA's risk is far more consequential than SWAPA's risk. None of us should be willing to roll the dice just because some Delta jokers say we should.

Here's to working it out :beer:,
shootr

Last edited:
The only sure thing about about all of this is that GK is in control if we don't come to an agreement. Not ALPA and not the abitors.

Most of us in SWAPA do not fear arbitration. However, I don't like risk in regard to my career. Absolutely arbitration is a risk, even if I don't fear it. It's why I'd prefer an agreement to anything else. Citrus ALPA also takes a risk in going to arbitration, even if they don't believe it. It's very possible that ALPA's risk is far more consequential than SWAPA's risk. None of us should be willing to roll the dice just because some Delta jokers say we should.

Here's to working it out :beer:,
shootr

I see no risk with alpa. When this is done they will be shown the door. They are gameing with someone elses money.

For the record, -9Capt didn't say that. 400ADude did. The whole SLI debate is getting moot. The MC's will provide a SLI to vote on. If they can find a solution that a majority from both sides agree on great. If not it goes to arbitration and we get a result by 31 DEC. Then it's over. If the union's don't set an implentation date, the arbitrators do.

Almost.

"If an agreement is not reached during that timeframe, the matter is agreed to be sent to arbitration and a new implementation process would then have to be negotiated."
Gary Kelly April 18th, 2011

Kinda reminds of all the AAI guys who want to negotiate with their current 'post-SW announcement' contract. Plainly, that contract wouldn't have happened without GK making his announcement.

It's gonna come down to arguing pre-Sept. 26 contracts on both sides. What were the career earning potential at both airlines then?

With AAI low payscales (then) and no end in sight from AAI management, and a impressive +90% stike from the pilots to walk away and shut it down... will be eye opening for the three arbitors.

Southwest had no forseen labor strife what-so-ever. And I know it's not the fault of the Airtran pilots, it is/was a horrible management team you had to deal with. But the facts are the facts, and that's what will be argued.

Red, I respectfully disagree with your assumptions. You have no way of knowing if or when we would have obtained a new CBA at AAI. Can you honestly say we would have never got a better deal. Thats like saying LUV will never go international because they haven't done it yet. You just can't know for sure. We may have had to fight hard for it but it would have happened. No way BF would have bankrupted a profitable company to avoid industry standard wages. As far as what contract will be looked at during the possible arbitration is anybody's guess. The only fact in your post is the "+90% stike" vote. The rest is simply your opinion.

Almost.

"If an agreement is not reached during that timeframe, the matter is agreed to be sent to arbitration and a new implementation process would then have to be negotiated."

Ok. But how does that change the binding list that results from arbitration? What that quote means to me is if it goes to arbitration it will take longer for both pilot groups to have a single bargaining representative. This is our (SWA/AT) football till 30 SEP, after that both groups punt. I agree GK has options if it goes that far, he's driving the train.

Almost.

Almost. ;)

IF it goes to arbitration, the SLI *AND* the implementation DATE will be decided by the 3-person arbitrator panel (Process Agreement signed by all 4 parties, including GK).

The PROCESS of implementation (how you take AAI pilots from our existing CBA into the SWAPA CBA, retrain them on the SWA FOM, pay rates for the 717 long-term, etc) would have to be negotiated, but the implementation DATE is out of anyone's hands if it goes to arbitration.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back