• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA, Airline of the year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I wish your CEO treated you like that..... Looks like you are doin the "suckin." (Especially Red). It's time for you guys to get a better contract, with higher wages, a DC type retirement fund that you don't have to fund first before you get a match, INTL override and higher perdiem, etc. Sounds like the LUV is waning..... And add all of that to LBB and MAF layovers, and I bet tons of your bottom guys are looking to get out and find an airline that will have upward movement due to more retirements and better overall pay packages.

Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I wish your CEO treated you like that..... Looks like you are doin the "suckin." (Especially Red). It's time for you guys to get a better contract, with higher wages, a DC type retirement fund that you don't have to fund first before you get a match, INTL override and higher perdiem, etc. Sounds like the LUV is waning..... And add all of that to LBB and MAF layovers, and I bet tons of your bottom guys are looking to get out and find an airline that will have upward movement due to more retirements and better overall pay packages.

Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hey Genny. I was wondering the other day....how much money did you lose when they flushed your pension in '05? That was 9 years that you accumulated wasn't it?

Hey Genny. I was wondering the other day....how much money did you lose when they flushed your pension in '05? That was 9 years that you accumulated wasn't it?

You obviously don't understand what happened to the DL pilots. Yes, pensions were dumped, but the group was also a "creditor" in the reorganization. When Parker at USAir tried to attempt a buyout while DL was in BK, the other major creditors agreed with DL not to allow it, as long as they got more money for each dollar owed. Instead of 10 cents on the dollar, they may have gotten 50 or more cents, all thanks to Parker. So, since the pilot group was also a major creditor, the DL pilots did pretty well. Even guys out on furlough got big bucks (6 figures), but not all in cash. Most of it filled up previous years 401K limits, and then the rest was in cash and then that part taxed.

So, for people at DL for less than a decade, it wasn't too bad. Some Captains got close to $500K, and some of that was taxed. But, about 1000 guys also retired early, increasing seniority for everyone else, increasing current pay due to moving up earlier in the seniority list, as well as in the eventual merger. Instead of being an MD88 Capt had those 1000 guys stayed, now they are 7ER Capts, making more and increasing their DC fund now.

It was bad to lose the pension, but it looks like it has worked out just fine for most that are still flying for the airline. The FNWA pilots still have a frozen pension, and it looks like it's still being funded, (didn't you say otherwise?). $5 Billion in profits per year will help pay for that.

Good try Red.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Glee, to sum up your point, it's okay to throw some under the bus at the expense of others. I hope ur next gen of pilots treats u so well when the day comes, and it will!

You obviously don't understand what happened to the DL pilots. Yes, pensions were dumped, but the group was also a "creditor" in the reorganization. When Parker at USAir tried to attempt a buyout while DL was in BK, the other major creditors agreed with DL not to allow it, as long as they got more money for each dollar owed. Instead of 10 cents on the dollar, they may have gotten 50 or more cents, all thanks to Parker. So, since the pilot group was also a major creditor, the DL pilots did pretty well. Even guys out on furlough got big bucks (6 figures), but not all in cash. Most of it filled up previous years 401K limits, and then the rest was in cash and then that part taxed.

So, for people at DL for less than a decade, it wasn't too bad. Some Captains got close to $500K, and some of that was taxed. But, about 1000 guys also retired early, increasing seniority for everyone else, increasing current pay due to moving up earlier in the seniority list, as well as in the eventual merger. Instead of being an MD88 Capt had those 1000 guys stayed, now they are 7ER Capts, making more and increasing their DC fund now.

It was bad to lose the pension, but it looks like it has worked out just fine for most that are still flying for the airline. The FNWA pilots still have a frozen pension, and it looks like it's still being funded, (didn't you say otherwise?). $5 Billion in profits per year will help pay for that.

Good try Red.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I was never sure if you were a pilot or just connected to the industry. This post settles it. No way you would go through that experience and then refer to it as an observer. Not once did you say "we".

Glee, to sum up your point, it's okay to throw some under the bus at the expense of others. I hope ur next gen of pilots treats u so well when the day comes, and it will!

Huh? The guys that could retire early did just that. About 1000 left early with lump sums, actually accelerating the BK. Who was left under the bus? The guys that bailed out got money, and the ones that stayed got money, and then age 65 increased their time allowed to recover the rest. Looks like most got what they wanted. But, you don't want to see that.

And thanks to Consolidation, bag fees, change fees, and now lower gas, that day you talk about is getting farther and farther away. Have a great night.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back