• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA, Airline of the year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was never sure if you were a pilot or just connected to the industry. This post settles it. No way you would go through that experience and then refer to it as an observer. Not once did you say "we".

This is an anonymous board, and I did that for a reason.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Hey Genny. I was wondering the other day....how much money did you lose when they flushed your pension in '05? That was 9 years that you accumulated wasn't it?

Hey Red: The other day, I was thinking about your tag line there and the wages/jockstrap comment. I think it's a flawed context/example to begin with, but that aside, is it in anyway something you could apply to yourself? How about a new hire? How about even a majority of SWA pilots over the years? Truth of the matter, it's not. Not even close. Keep sniffing that jockstrap though. We all know you LUV it ;)

Hey Genny. I was wondering the other day....how much money did you lose when they flushed your pension in '05? That was 9 years that you accumulated wasn't it?

He lost nothing .

I am confused Red . Do you actually think he is a pilot for DAL.

I am also surprised DAL legal has not gone after him .

Hey Red: The other day, I was thinking about your tag line there and the wages/jockstrap comment. I think it's a flawed context/example to begin with, but that aside, is it in anyway something you could apply to yourself? How about a new hire? How about even a majority of SWA pilots over the years? Truth of the matter, it's not. Not even close. Keep sniffing that jockstrap though. We all know you LUV it ;)

Hey Flop, here's the deal with Genny (if he were really a DL pilot). He claims to be hired in 1996. So let's see the difference if his friend got hired at SW in 1996. The SW guy would have upgraded in a little over 4 years. So to date, over 13 years as a Captain. Just after the SW guy upgraded, Delta started furloughing. Four years later.....bankruptcy with big losses.

The Delta guy would see nothing but furloughs and losses (up until recently), when that 96 SW hire has been making CA wages almost the entire time will getting rewarded with better profit sharing and huge gains in stock options. Even you can see the massive difference in those two career paths, right Flop?

I agree with Humvee and Slaquer though in the end. Conversations like this with Genny just bring his persona out into the daylight so people can see the absurdity and he still doesn't get it.

Flop

Red is correct. I. Have always made a lot more then my buddies at the other Airlines . More days off and more pay .

Now looking forward you do have a valid argument . Even then who can foresee the future .

Flop

Red is correct. I. Have always made a lot more then my buddies at the other Airlines . More days off and more pay .

Now looking forward you do have a valid argument . Even then who can foresee the future .

I'm glad you do well, and I wouldn't want that to change. I have a problem with the word "always". Any one pilot's career is too temporary to give proper context to "always". The best I think we can do is look at how things have been for the entirety of SWA's existence and compare it to Delta (SWA being shorter). That's a fair methodology IMHO since (as we previously mentioned) we're only halfway thru career. That's a pretty good predictor for any prospective new hire, or for you and I guessing about the rest of our careers. Looking at it like that, you got a small number of SWA guys that started early that hit a home run on stock, and that's the only big difference.

Last edited:
Along with no bankruptcy. Which in itself was worth millions. Not the fault of legacy pilots, but piss poor management at those carriers. The sad part being those managers went off into the sunset doing quite well.

Any SWA guys recommend leaving a legacy like United for SWA? For those reasons... primarily stability? Time off? (Arent you're lines more productive?)

A lot of variables Poor.

The days off here can be good if that's what's important. Pay can be very lucrative if you're willing to work for it. Both really driven by if you live in base. Less pay and less days off if you elect to commute.

Less retirements than most legacies, but the possibility for more growth than those same airlines. Growth is unknown except the fact we only go to a very limited number of close international destinations and the CEO has talked about 50 new cities over the next few years.

Learned today of hiring approx. 300 for 2015 and an estimate of 600 for 2016.

Also...do you live in base now? How long to upgrade there? Would you rather live in a SW base? What does your family think? Plenty of questions would need to be answered before you made a move like that....in either direction.

Latest resources

Back