• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI and the flight deck jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Source? How about something from an Annual report, a Shareholders' conference, an interview with an industry analyst . . . ONE single thing to back that up, other than purely wishful thinking? :rolleyes:

So where did the money come from?

Captain with hole in pocket feel cocky all day. Angry FO with broken stapler not get any nooky. :laugh:

You complain about how others address you, but you post this childish missive?

Wrong. AirTran is currently severely understaffed. Once SWA marketing changes the schedule and the aircraft routings, airplanes will fly more than they currently do, requiring even more pilots.

Pretty bold statement from someone who doesn't understand our manning model.

Pretty bold statement from someone who doesn't understand our manning model.

I understand it just fine. In the end, the most your scheduling practices and staffing model will do is balance out the current understaffed condition after the aircraft utilization increases. In all likelihood, though, more pilots will actually be required. Do you really think our Scheduling people haven't already looked at this a long time ago, using your staffing model? Come on, now.

I understand it just fine. In the end, the most your scheduling practices and staffing model will do is balance out the current understaffed condition after the aircraft utilization increases. In all likelihood, though, more pilots will actually be required. Do you really think our Scheduling people haven't already looked at this a long time ago, using your staffing model? Come on, now.

Why on earth would they? They are trying to run your airline. Not ours. As of now, Airtran is its own airline with its own model different from SWA. Airtran is operated more like a hub and spoke where SWA is a point to point. Therefore Airtrans manning model will closely reflect more than a legacy than SWA. That is why per aircraft there is a 13% increase need for pilots than SWA. When or if SWA merges and integrates Airtran into its operations, the old Airtran system map will reflect a point to point model and there would be a surplus of pilots at the end game with the assumption of no growth.

But supposedly there may be growth potential with this purchase therefore the surplus will be short lived.

I suppose since you understand our manning model then I will not waste my time spelling out why a point to point requires less pilots than a hub and spoke. It is not because of the contract.

This is getting old. Both sides will fight as hard as they can, just like a boxer. When all said and done, the one with the best trainer and effective training will win. After that, go fly and be merry that the fight is over.

Of course it could be weighted toward one side with a crappy trainer, no training and in that case just kick each other in the ball sack until you retire.

Why on earth would they? They are trying to run your airline. Not ours.

I was talking about our Scheduling Committee guys, not the company.

PCL-
Why are you fanning the flames?
Why are you intensely trying to raise the SLI expectations of AT pilots?
Why are you trying to discount all the benefits of this deal to AT pilots?

I have my theory.
All AT guys need to watch this guy and make sure ALPA (and your senior for that matter) is operating in your best interest.

I was "senior" at my first commuter. THAT didn't pay my mortgage. Or for my Harley. Or my education fund. Or my vacation to Tahiti last march. Or for the day I spent at the pool instead of at the doctor's bc my stress is so low and schedule so healthy and productive here that I get 4-5 more days off than I ever have. Or...... Or......

Seniority is all swa pilots can tangibly gain out of this. And the vast majority will not accept anything but a significant gain in relative seniority for all swa pilots- argue that all you want - but as a relatively junior FO here who has never made more money or had a better life as that junior FO- it is not worth risking this deal over seniority for AT pilots- it isn't worth DELAYING this dea over seniority.

The disparity in lifestyle between junior and senior is big at most airlines- here it is flatter. Seniority allows you to bid lines of pairings and vacation. There is not much difference in pairings- these pairings are great at the junior end. And ELLITT/TTGA gives you so much flexibility in your month -

You'll get vacation and if you can't hold a certain week initially, chances are you'll be able to trade into the week you need at some point as pilots transfer
around domiciles-

At some point you have to ask what you're fighting for?

Latest resources

Back