• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI and the flight deck jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you were us, you would feel the same. We are not Midwest Airlines. We are Southwest Airlines you are Air Tran.

For some unknown reason Airtran guys think they are equal to SWA. Maybe Midwest was equal to Airtran but how they think they are equal to SWA is really reaching far out. There is nothing equal between the two carriers. Not number of pilots, aircraft, cities served, profits, the list goes on. And the sad thing is they really think if it goes to arbitration that only seniority will be looked at.

Actually, you serve one city more than we do, and that city is probably served by Volaris. :rolleyes:

For some unknown reason Airtran guys think they are equal to SWA. Maybe Midwest was equal to Airtran but how they think they are equal to SWA is really reaching far out. There is nothing equal between the two carriers. Not number of pilots, aircraft, cities served, profits, the list goes on. And the sad thing is they really think if it goes to arbitration that only seniority will be looked at.

Don’t forget the number of AirTran pilots, Captains included, who left and went to SWA. Ty is not comparing oranges to oranges, just oranges to tangerines.

Actually, you serve one city more than we do, and that city is probably served by Volaris. :rolleyes:

And we have 6000 pilots, 550 jets, 40 years, I say YEARS of sustained profitability with no furloughs and when you get hired at Southwest only about 1/10th of 1% ever apply anywhere else.
Plus SWAPA put a stop to what you couldn't - YOUR codeshare. :beer:
I don't mind barbeque recipes but if we're gonna lob grenades let's get our facts straight!

Ya'll have a good, safe, fun weekend.

Gup

So,you think it's fair to staple 1/2-3/4 of the AirTran FO's below all the swa FO's hired after September?

As Wave clarified, those guys on both sides of the table hired AFTER Sep 27th will be effectively stapled to whatever the list looks like for the integration of the pilots on property at SWA and AAI on Sep 27th. These discussions are generally about the list as it concerns the pilots on property at the time of the announcement.

As for that, however, yes I think it would be fair if a good portion of your F/O's were placed behind our junior guy - Craig Johnson. My reasons are these:

1) Every AirTran pilots career expectations will be increased drastically by this acquisition, regardless of where they end up on the seniority list; conversely, unless they receive a relative seniority increase, every SWA pilot will actually take a hit to his career expectations due to guys being slotted ahead of him/her and the delaying effect that those extra pilots will have on his upgrade time/seniority advancement. Even without growth, your younger pilot group and dearth of retirements will adversely effect our movement up the seniority list, and this will affect every pilot on our seniority list, but none as much as our junior pilots. Craig Johnson deserves to get the benefit from our greater retirements that he expected before this announcement, or some offsetting benefit in seniority that makes up for the loss of it.

2) By virtue of this acquisition, every F/O on your list will immediately receive greater than the equivalent of an upgrade at AirTran. In pay, in benefits, in schedule quality, in career expectations and career possibilities. It's like all your F/O's are upgrading at AirTran at the same time. When I upgraded, I traded my seniority/quality of life as an F/O for mo' money as a captain and the better life it would obtain for my family. I voluntarily "stapled" myself to the captain list, and I would imagine if offered upgrade at AirTran sans this announcement, the vast majority (lets say 90%) of your F/O's would have done the same thing for the same reason. There are two differences here - one, it's not voluntary and two, they are not becoming captains. But the facts that a) you were acquired and b) this "greater than an upgrade" benefit to their career is happening to all of them at the same time (vs. 1 class at a time if they waited for an AAI upgrade) should be mitigating factors that make it more than reasonable.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about what I think is fair and what I think isn't as for how many will be at the bottom of a combined list. That's for our NC's to decide. I am just trying to point out some very objective facts that I'm sure our NC will be ready, willing and able to argue in front of your NC, a mediator, or an arbitration panel.

Respectfully and Fraternally,
PapaWoody

Last edited:
I don't mind barbeque recipes but if we're gonna lob grenades let's get our facts straight!

Gup

Ok I have to stop you right there. We fought very hard to get that codeshare. ALPA has a long proud history of outsourcing high paying jobs. SWAPA in all its "wisdom" wants to do "all" SWA flying... it's that kind of attitude that is making this industry a race to the bottom!

I'm not sure If I like B727's or Flyarc's avatar more? Dunno, the white part of Flyarc's oreo, or motor boat B727's? Darn tough decision.

MCDU has good taste when it comes to the seating position.

Oops, little mama no likely-like my humor.

Hmm, back to the Stone.

PS Sanata's on, had to take a break from the sun. Pardon this post.

If my memory serves me correctly SWA has 72 cities and Airtran is less than half of that.

You're living in 2001, buddy. :laugh:

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=201565&p=irol-factSheet

Founded in 1993, it is one of America’s largest low-fare airlines and offers quality jet service with over 700 daily flights to 71 destinations. AirTran Airways is the second largest carrier at the world’s busiest airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Last edited:

Gup

Just like we'll help ya put a stop to your codeshare . . . . Volaris. ;)

You can thank us later, Gup!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back