SWA 29 Mar Class!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Congratulations

Just wanted to congratulate a couple of compadres of mine. Waitin' on B737, #61 on the list, got the call a couple of a days ago and luv2fly has already posted. Congratulations to both of you and to every one else who got the call. I will see you all in the very next class.

Flycatcher99

Tough question. As some have already responded there is an argument to just go with the flow & everything will work out with hard work on your part & help from the training department. I can't say that isn't good advice.

I will also say though that each of us are our best judge of what works best in terms of refresher & how we handle having been out of a particular cockpit. I know folks who have coordinated with HPA in DAL for a 2 hr sim block on the Sat or Sunday before you start & have appreciated the opportunity to get some stick time after a long layoff.

Here is a possible suggestion that would make it affordable & useful for all. See if there are any interested folks in your class, maybe 3, have all of you chip in for a 2 hr sim, each person getting 40 minutes in the left seat. This is probably the most cost effective & within most people's budget. Even if you can only find one other person, it still can be pretty cost effective. Call Gail at HPA & ask for prices, it can be pretty reasonable. Peace of mind is worth something if it concerns you.

SWA washes very few folks out of initial training & then only after extensive attempts to get them up to speed. I couldn't begin to give you a number but even when we were pushing 500+ folks through, the number I believe was only a handful.

Think about, petition your fellow classmates & see what you can find out. Maybe a PM from one of them will get you a sim partner that will split some time. Good luck & hope to see you there soon.

Regarding the idea of getting some sim time prior to class:

First off, if spending $200 puts you at ease for class when otherwise you'd be wishing you had & pinging for the weeks until you get into the sim, and you can afford it & want to do it, then by all means go ahead.

That said...

If you've been flying something else (the 1900, for instance) lately & want a refresher on the 737, I'd suggest the systems refresher at HPA (or the Nolly productions videotape -- dry, but a good -300 systems tape, useful for annual review before PC / PT sims). Guys show up for class all the time a year or three out from their type rating, and having flown stuff vastly dissimilar from a 737, and they do fine. No need to brush up on flying the Boeing, particularly since it'll be about 4 weeks or so before you actually go flying in the sim. There are enough sessions that you'll get the feel of the plane just fine before the checkride. Also, there are enough differences that brushing up in a -200 sim isn't entirely preparing you for the -300.

On the other hand, if you've been out of flying entirely for 2 or 3 years, the "hands-on" time *might* be worth the money, BUT I've talked with folks who went through the January class after being out of the cockpit for that sort of time, and they didn't have any particular problems. SWA also told them outright that they could have extra sim time before the checkride if they needed it to get the whole "hands" thing back up to speed. It really is a *training* program, not at all a "washout" program, and they fully understand what guys have been through waiting for as long as many of the poolies have. Everybody wants to see all the newhires succeed, and they'll do anything they can to make that happen. Sim time in the actual model you'll take your checkride in, with your sim partner, with a SWA instructor, will be much more valuable than doing it in a different box, possibly different partner, using non-SWA procedures.

So I guess my advice would be that even if you've been away from flying for a couple years, unless you're hard set on getting the sim time before class, I wouldn't push it too much. They'll give you as much assistance as you need, and you can save your $ for Wild Turkey or beer or whatever your beverage of choice might be!

Finally, if you DO go get the sim time, do your hand-on flying from the RIGHT seat! Trust me on this one. :D

Cheers,

Snoopy

Sim Time...

Having worked in the training center for 3 and a half years, and having worked with hundreds of new-hire FO's, TRUST ME! You don't need to go out and buy any sim time, unless you have been out of the cockpit for 3 or 4 years and need to brush up on you scan. Even then, you are probably okay. The guys in Dallas will work their *ss off to make sure that you are golden. You can count on that.

Latest resources

Back