• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA 2006 New Hire Pilot Demograhpics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bravodude, In the military you serve at the pleasure of the President. Money magazine rated the military as one of the worst careers in terms of job stability. There is absolutely no guaranteed that anyone can finish 20 years and retire. Talk to the Vietnam Vets who went through the contraction of the military after Vietnam or the Cold War vets who experienced the peace dividend drawdown of the early 90’s. That is not to mention not staying a cockpit after your first 10-12 years as you mature into senior officer positions.

I Know SWA/FO and I can tell you that if you knew him you would understand his humor. That boy is funny! Anyway, I know defending him is not what you are looking for, but I had to.

As far as Mil/Civ argument goes, after six months on the job either can do the job just a well as the other. A FEW of both can't let go of the past. We are are all SWA pilots at this company now! Blue pants, white shirt, white stripes, GET IT?

I Know SWA/FO and I can tell you that if you knew him you would understand his humor. That boy is funny! Anyway, I know defending him is not what you are looking for, but I had to.

thanks union brother..

Quick education for my non-military brethren about officers in the AF. You are not guaranteed a pilot slot when you join. If you do get one, there is no guarantee you will make it through pilot training (my class had about a 30% washout rate). You are in an up or out promotion system. Pretty much guaranteed to make the first 2 promotions up to captain unless the military decides to downsize and force you out. After that, it is more about the non flying portion of your job for getting promoted. Most guys will make major and if you go to a staff job and do the right things, you make Lt Col. If you don't make Lt Col, you have to leave after 20 years. If you do make it, you have to leave after 27 years. Very few make it above Lt Col and if you do, you are almost guaranteed to be not flying.
So, for the vast majority there are 2 routes. You either go the route to get promoted to Lt Col and retire at 20 years (doesn't make much sense for most to go beyond 20 years as your retirement pay won't increase much, you are more likely to go to a non-flying position, and the longer you wait to retire the shorter your time will be for your next job which you have to do as you are forced out of the AF well before you can fully retire), or you can serve your required time after pilot training (roughly 10 years of service) and then go the civilian route. Most of that go this route also go to the Reserves/Guard as they already have built times towards retirement that they would get none of if they didn't do this, as well as to maintain currency while waiting for their airline job. Additionally, most of them love the military flying/patriotism, but either couldn't get promoted or didn't want to do the additional things such as a non-flying job, getting a masters degree, etc. that would get them promoted.
Hopefully this helps give you an understanding.

I think they try pretty hard to weed out the a-holes regardless of background.
Well that explains it....all this time I've been wondering what I did or did not do to receive the letter. I guess my wife WAS right.....

Quick education for my non-military brethren about officers in the AF. You are not guaranteed a pilot slot when you join. If you do get one, there is no guarantee you will make it through pilot training (my class had about a 30% washout rate). You are in an up or out promotion system. Pretty much guaranteed to make the first 2 promotions up to captain unless the military decides to downsize and force you out. After that, it is more about the non flying portion of your job for getting promoted. Most guys will make major and if you go to a staff job and do the right things, you make Lt Col. If you don't make Lt Col, you have to leave after 20 years. If you do make it, you have to leave after 27 years. Very few make it above Lt Col and if you do, you are almost guaranteed to be not flying.
So, for the vast majority there are 2 routes. You either go the route to get promoted to Lt Col and retire at 20 years (doesn't make much sense for most to go beyond 20 years as your retirement pay won't increase much, you are more likely to go to a non-flying position, and the longer you wait to retire the shorter your time will be for your next job which you have to do as you are forced out of the AF well before you can fully retire), or you can serve your required time after pilot training (roughly 10 years of service) and then go the civilian route. Most of that go this route also go to the Reserves/Guard as they already have built times towards retirement that they would get none of if they didn't do this, as well as to maintain currency while waiting for their airline job. Additionally, most of them love the military flying/patriotism, but either couldn't get promoted or didn't want to do the additional things such as a non-flying job, getting a masters degree, etc. that would get them promoted.
Hopefully this helps give you an understanding.

That makes alot more sense to me now. thank you!

Of course we could cover the Civi route too.... except there are thousands of different stories, most will no pay/benefits (unlike a government job can provide.)

Guess what? this route comes with no guarantee either, but who really cares?

The only difference is if your in the Mil you're in the Mil... if they don't want you to fly, you don't fly. When your a Civi, you decide when you don't want to fly (chase the dream) anymore.

"You civilain guys" or similar make me cringe.

I get it, replying (better described as taking the bait) to a small number of yahoos rattling your cage. Please remember as you pontificate that many of us civilian pilots are prior military. We fixed the planes you flew, ensured you were paid while others were the tip of the spear hanging it out as much as any of you. The "you will never know the pride" rant rings hallow to the surprisingly large number of us who served. Please remember that before you breech load the next round directed at civilians.

Former Marine, infantry.

Hoorah, USMC forever

Latest resources

Back