• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rough67

5 t's
Hello all,

I have two quick questions about SWA, any info would be very helpful.

1. What type of information would SWA want to see at the interview if a previous employer (airline) is out of business? Other places have wanted things like a non-relative to verify that employment, or mabye a paycheck stub... I do have a copy of the training records, but am not sure if they will want to see more.

2. Does SWA ask furloughees to resign from any previous employer (UAL,NWA etc.), and how is it verified (does a letter of resig. have to be brought to start of class with SW)?

Thanks for your help, just trying to make a big/informed decision....

Not sure how to answer #1 although if you have an interview scheduled the obvious answer is to call the People Department at SWA who will be more than happy to explain their procedures in detail.

As for #2 they will request a copy of a dated resignation letter to your former employer immediately prior to showing up for class, the request comes about 3 weeks before the class and has to be completed I think a week before the class starts. They don't I believe send in the copy of the letter to your former company.

1. What type of information would SWA want to see at the interview if a previous employer (airline) is out of business? Other places have wanted things like a non-relative to verify that employment, or mabye a paycheck stub... I do have a copy of the training records, but am not sure if they will want to see more.

I have worked for several operators now out of business. Since I still knew the owners and the chief pilots I provided SWA with a number/address in which to contact them (I first called them and asked if it was OK).

For the most part all SWA wanted to do was to verify the dates of employment and a few other things which at the moment escapes me.

RJ

GuppyWN said:
Rough,

Is WN a part time job until you get a recall?

Gup

Not at all! After being furloughed from two airlines I am extremely gunshy about the entire industry. The last one (which is now out of business) originally pressured applicants to resign their # from previous employers too, but if I would have done that I'd be left with nothing. How do I know if I went to SWA now that next year at this time they won't be laying off pilots..? I understand your confidence in WN, which you should be. I just wish that it was acceptable to have that choice if things went south.

R

.. and thanks for the information everyone. Fly safe...

Last edited:
Rough,

I've never had an airline job that didn't want a resignation letter from the last. The thinking is that they are dumping a ton of money into training you. I also know guys that are on furlough that "resigned" to get another job only to suddenly get recalled and bail on the current employer who trusted that they resigned from the last.

You have to do your homework. I will tell you this. As of today, and every other day in the history of Southwest - WE HAVE NEVER HAD A FURLOUGH. We have "downsized" some ramp/ops positions but every single employee had a chance to transfer to another station. The pilot group, before my time, even took a paycut across the board to keep from furloughing some guys back in the earyly 80's. That's brotherhood my friend.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will make the best decision for you and your family.

Gup

Rough67 said:
Not at all! After being furloughed from two airlines I am extremely
gunshy
about the entire industry. The last one (which is now out of business) originally pressured applicants to resign their # from previous employers too, but if I would have done that I'd be left with nothing. How do I know if I went to SWA now that next year at this time they won't be laying off pilots..? I understand your confidence in WN, which you should be. I just wish that it was acceptable to have that choice if things went south.

R

.. and thanks for the information everyone. Fly safe...
Don't take my word for it but again I think they want the copy of the letter but they won't actually send it in for you like other airlines do so I suppose you could be dishonest and keep your options open. That said I think a huge part of the hiring process at SWA is determining those candidates who really believe in the culture of SWA... a culture which has never furloughed an employee in 35+ years and a culture of profits and growth for decades. We all believe that our little (big) airline is in it for the long haul and won't suffer as others have because everyone from management on down will do whatever it takes to make sure we remain competitive, whatever the sacrifice. What does this all mean... to fit in here, IMHO, you have to believe you won't need the option of another carrier. Perhaps other SWA pilot's would disagree but I doubt most would.

Rough,

If you have a W2 from the previous employers that are out of business or a paycheck stub that will suffice. If you can produce someone you flew with there even better.

As far a the furlough thing, I was a legacy furloughee as well. Let go of the past and focus on the future. There are no promises in this industry so you have to go with the best decision you can make at the time and don't look back. If you try and scam the system it will come back and bite you. If offered the job write the resignation letter and count your blessings with a good riddance IMHO.

The interview is tough if you are trying to convince yourself if you will be a lifer at SWA. They will see right through it and I got many ?'s about my furlough status and why all the sudden I wanted to work for SWA. I got asked about the former company vs. SWA and why when and how I am sitting before them now. Just something to think about. Best of Luck. When you interview here you will see what a truly special and unique place SWA is.

When I interviewed, I also had a previous employer who was no longer in business in my background. In my case, an attorney firm had been appointed the legal trustee of the training records. So I put that address/poc on the form, and explained it in a little side note. Additionally, I listed my sim partner when I went through training there as a POC. They did call him to verify my employment. But it was never an issue. Just do your best to comply, and make sure they have a heads up as to the nature of your problem. Your safest bet would be to call the PD and discuss it with them.

Regarding the letter of resignation... Looking at my records, when I sent SWA my acceptance of their offer(in writing as requested), they also requested a copy of my resignation letter, and a number they could fax it to. I had already sent my old employer a letter, so I have no idea if they actually faxed it or not. This was provided about 7-10 days before class started, iirc.

Latest resources

Back