• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Similar advise without Ms. Orman's Baggage:

www.daveramsey.com

His billboard slogan: "Act your wage!"
Ramsey, much like Orman, has been criticized in financial circles for offering overly simplistic solutions to "complex" financial issues. Ramsey's exaggeration of expected stock market returns, his focus on high-risk growth funds instead of safer index and life-cycle funds, and his failure to state the importance of investment expenses make him worse then Cramer.

Ramsey, much like Orman, has been criticized in financial circles for offering overly simplistic solutions to "complex" financial issues. Ramsey's exaggeration of expected stock market returns, his focus on high-risk growth funds instead of safer index and life-cycle funds, and his failure to state the importance of investment expenses make him worse then Cramer.

His overall advice is doing what you love to do and living within the means that provides. The simple stuff your grandpa used to live by, much of which is grounded by faith.

I've been listening to him for a while and he seems to be a very honorable man. He's helped straighten out the messed up lives of thousands of people.

He has a similar critical opinion of financial circles, because they offer "complex" financial solutions so they can sell them for a larger commission.

cover_0409_thumb_b.jpg

don't know if this worked. if not look for Business Jet Traveler. April 1,09 issue.

it's about how much she loves business aviation.

I saw her boarding a BJ the other day at KTEB. Anybody know who she charters with. I searched the tail number, but it is an unregistered tail number. You think she's flying around in an unregistered plane?

so much for life-cycle target funds being safe

instead of safer index and life-cycle funds, and his failure to state the importance of investment expenses make him worse then Cramer.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/27/news/companies/kimes_targetfunds.fortune/index.htm

Target funds miss the mark
Portfolio managers who committed too much money to stocks in search of extra gains inflicted big losses on investors nearing retirement.

April 27, 2009: 1:40 PM ET

(Fortune Magazine) -- Target-date funds, also called life-cycle funds, are supposed to ease your troubles. You park your money in one, and the fund manager rebalances your portfolio over time, moving your assets from stocks to bonds as you approach your retirement. But for many target-date investors in their sixties, those years will now be spent trying to recuperate losses of 25% or more in 2008 - which were incurred in part because their funds were treating them like 30-year-olds.

"The typical target-date fund is overly aggressive," says Craig Israelsen, a Brigham Young University professor and the founder of research firm Target Date Analytics. "Managers were betting that if they were in equities, they'd perform better - and they got nailed, along with everyone else. The problem is, they were nailing people in their sixties and seventies."

25% loss not bad

, those years will now be spent trying to recuperate losses of 25% or more in 2008 "
Many people wish they had only lost 25% in 2008. I managment my own portfolio and I lost 22% last year. The big question is, how have those managed funds done this year, and how will they match the general recovery. I am up over 3% this year.

Latest resources

Back