• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Support Glenn Duffy... Say "Adios" at JFK/LGA/EWR and ZNY

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was a lapse in judgment. Not many people care. The ones who do care are the ones who handled it. I suppose the FAA only saw it one way. Part 65 Sub part B. I'm no lawyer and I don't know what the limits are for a "trainee" to operate the radio or receive instruction. The way I read it is you must have passed a Practical Test to operate in the tower. It also appears that each facility is specific so, I guess JFK operators can not operate in DSM and vice verse. The whole thing is silly. We are all held to the regulations. This was no exception.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.4&idno=14

Last edited:
Yeah- that's the whole point- regulations are there for a reason- and it's not to stop all the dad's who constantly let their kid say "cleared for takeoff"- we have to read between the lines and still use common sense judgement. This should have been nothing more than a good memory in that boy's life- not the stressful embarassment it's become.

Any updates- is this guy's career really in jeopardy? Or are they just slapping him on the wrist for a week?

Last edited:
blame the 24 hour news networks who spew stories that aren't even news...they then get the public all worked up, who then demand action.

blame the 24 hour news networks who spew stories that aren't even news...they then get the public all worked up, who then demand action.

Ok, no more cccccyyyaa's in DTW it's now Adios !!

Does anyone feel that these types of situation are at all related, no matter how indirectly, to the erosion of Captain's authority? It seems to foster an atmosphere where everyone is afraid to think for themselves, exercise their own judgment, not only not going outside the box but even staying away from the edge of it.

For example, the RJ that was stuck on the ramp all night with passengers on board because (I forget who, ops control, chief pilot, station, etc.) said that they could not deplane the passengers. So they sit there all night trapped on and ERJ because someone told them no. Or when you fly with a guy who gets de-iced, not because we need it, but because everyone else is getting de-iced so he doesn't want to raise any eyebrows. It feels like more and more pilots are afraid of their own shadows.

You, my friend, are part of the problem. This kid was not making any operational decisions...was not vectoring airplanes or commanding a climb or descent. All he was doing was being a parrot to what his father, who is a qualified controller, was telling him to say. I say great! The kid had an experience that may influence his future career decisions and may have increased the bond between a father and son. To make this into anything more than that is pure B.S.. Would it be better if the kid gave takeoff instructions in DSM?? F.ck you all who think that big city stuff is so much more important. I am completely behind the Dad who brought his kid to work and in no way sacrificed safety of airline travel in any way.

Me? I'm outta work. Every day away takes me further away. Lesser men are flying airplanes around the system thinking they're untouchable, or should be. I know of pilots that were fired for lesser transgressions. A couple in particular shook a whole country up. Save the bonding for the playground.

I'm in as well. I'm going to post this on our company pilot boards as well. Hope we can help these guys. Anyone know the other controller's name who was also suspended?

Adios!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back