• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Support for other pilots and Simple Math

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have done much to turn this from a profession into just a trade/job. It's time to return this back to a profession.

Pilots are compensated and promoted solely on the basis of time served. If pilots want to be judged on the basis of their skills and be respected for them than they need to be prepared to be judged based upon them.

Pilots are compensated and promoted solely on the basis of time served. If pilots want to be judged on the basis of their skills and be respected for them than they need to be prepared to be judged based upon them.

And accept that the criteria will be judged subjectively by people who have good friends, not-so-good friends and "other". Do you really want your career progression to depend on which sim instructor you happen to get, or how many of your fellow employees "like" you?

You are talking about artificial barriers with no relevance to anything meaningful. Why not reduce the eye requirement to 20/20 without corrective lenses? Why not make a height or weight a requirement as well?

I don't think that any of my suggestions are irrelevent to being a pilot. A 'good' pilot isn't simply one who can hand fly an ILS to minimums and then grease it on.
There are thousands of minute aspects to being a pilot. Being able to properly read/interpret an upper air chart is just one small task where a good pilot needs to be proficient.

As for your comments about vision, height, weight, please take a look at the JCAB medical requirements. Japan finds these to be relevent factors.
You brought up height. I did a quick check of part 67; it doesn't mention height. The military requires minimum standing and sitting height. What is a minimum acceptable height? Would you feel comfortable if someone Verne Troyer's (Mini Me) height was an airline pilot? Or is height irrelevent?

And accept that the criteria will be judged subjectively by people who have good friends, not-so-good friends and "other". Do you really want your career progression to depend on which sim instructor you happen to get, or how many of your fellow employees "like" you?

As opposed to the objective basis that you have been someplace a really long time with out really majorly f**cking up so you must be the best pilot ever?

Part of being a professional is being able to work with other professionals and shape your career by your contribution to the company, not just your ability to advance in seniority.

Latest resources

Back