• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Support for other pilots and Simple Math

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice touch of airline reality, the only thing that will really raise pilot's wages is for pilots to refuse to fly for the present wages. However considering most pilot in the majors are in the upper income brakets of US wages earners there will be lot of people looking at those high paying wages.

BTW we could always go back to regulation. Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. But it would be good for a few senior guys and bad for everyone else.

A strike by definition is pilots refusing to fly for present wages. That is what it may take to move wages up. I don't think it will take anything as drastic as returning to regulation.

A strike by definition is pilots refusing to fly for present wages. That is what it may take to move wages up. I don't think it will take anything as drastic as returning to regulation.
But what about the non-union airlines, and if the price raise enought for a start -up with first year wages only. The public only wants cheap ticket.

My point is that in the big picture pilot pay is a very small percentage of an airlines operating cost.

I don't disagree with you totally, but the above statment is pretty ignorant.

What does Delta have now...12000 pilots? A rough guess would be almost $1.5 billion/year in straight salary...probably more. That's no chump change. Add in health insurance, retirement, etc. and you get a fairly sizable percentage.

Reading the last few post between pilot yip (management) and scab Roman make me sick. You guys are truly the enemy.

Reading the last few post between pilot yip (management) and scab Roman make me sick. You guys are truly the enemy.
Where have I ever posted an untruth? I am only posting my reality of 45 years in this business where I ended up at a non-sked at KYIP as the best job I could find. From what I read pilots are attempting to distort reality to fit something that can not exist, like liquid water with an atmospheric pressure of zero. I have never resorted to name calling, degrading, or any of the famous FI retorts. I try to present a different view in an open discussion, again based upon my reality of the industry.

GhettoBeechjet, you are extremely naive if you think anything you mentioned will drive pilot wages higher. Let's go back to Econ 101 - supply and demand. Find yourself a supply demand curve on the internet machine.
Now find a graph where supply (label it S1) shifts to the right (S2). That's exactly what raising the pilot age to 65 did to pilot wages - wages shifted downward (inflation adjusted) from P1 to P2. I explained this in detail prior to age 65 passing but many were unable to grasp the negative economic impact of raising pilot retirement age.

You want to increase pilot wages? Shift the pilot supply curve to the left and/or shift the pilot demand curve to the right.
Your 'solution' of raising airFARES would result in a shift to the left of the pilot demand curve and result in lower pilot wages.

I still find it ironic that airline execs hue and cry over any thought of increasing labor costs or government fees by a couple of bucks that will (obviously) have to be passed on to passengers. Passengers will refuse to pay it and we'll all be out of business.

Yet, these same execs have no problem gouging $25 to check a bag, $100 for cabin pets, $150 to change a ticket, etc. And there appears to be no shortage of lemmings eager to pony up the extra dough for what essentially costs the airlines nothing.

GhettoBeechjet, you are extremely naive if you think anything you mentioned will drive pilot wages higher. Let's go back to Econ 101 - supply and demand. Find yourself a supply demand curve on the internet machine.
Now find a graph where supply (label it S1) shifts to the right (S2). That's exactly what raising the pilot age to 65 did to pilot wages - wages shifted downward (inflation adjusted) from P1 to P2. I explained this in detail prior to age 65 passing but many were unable to grasp the negative economic impact of raising pilot retirement age.

You want to increase pilot wages? Shift the pilot supply curve to the left and/or shift the pilot demand curve to the right.
Your 'solution' of raising airFARES would result in a shift to the left of the pilot demand curve and result in lower pilot wages.

Andy your textbook explanation doesn't explain why after at least 6 FARE increases this year load factors are in the 80 percent range. The textbook answer to that would be that the demand is much less elastic than it has been in the past. If the demand is relatively inelastic a price increase will have little effect on demand.

Last edited:
But what about the non-union airlines, and if the price raise enought for a start -up with first year wages only. The public only wants cheap ticket.

There is of course some limit to how much prices and wages can rise before a start up gains enough cost advantage to make sense.

I don't disagree with you totally, but the above statment is pretty ignorant.

What does Delta have now...12000 pilots? A rough guess would be almost $1.5 billion/year in straight salary...probably more. That's no chump change. Add in health insurance, retirement, etc. and you get a fairly sizable percentage.

As a percentage of total operating cost which is what I was talking about it is historically low.

Latest resources

Back