• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Supply-Side case for unions....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There you go again. What does GM have to do with pilots. Different animals. Are you from Detroit?
This started as a supply side discussion of unions, didn't see it was restrcited to airlines. Do I need to post what happened a UAL, AAL, NWA, etc?
BTW of course I am from Detroit, that is why I am pilotyip. I got to watch first hand how the UAW made the Detroit auto companies so unproductive that they cold not survive.

This started as a supply side discussion of unions, didn't see it was restrcited to airlines. Do I need to post what happened a UAL, AAL, NWA, etc?
BTW of course I am from Detroit, that is why I am pilotyip. I got to watch first hand how the UAW made the Detroit auto companies so unproductive that they cold not survive.

So, your saying pilots destroyed those airlines?

So, your saying pilots destroyed those airlines?
No it was the flyign publuic and internet access to airline fares, it drove the price down so the airlines coudl not fulfill their contract obligations. The unions coudl doing nothing to prevent this.

If the unions were too powerful ... you wouldn't have this...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/flyingcheap/view/
I am not sure what your drift is, but if is caused by not having representation since Colgan is represented by a union. And from what I have seen unions do not shut down companies with strikes over pilots who failed check rides who still have their jobs, or that a crew member uses their rest time to commute. So you are telling me if the union was more powerful the accident would not have happened?

Last edited:
i can understand auto workers needing unions. The problem is, its pathetic that pilots require the protection of a union in the first place.

Salary, benefits, fatigue policy, sick time, long term disability all the nice things we have should be required just out of regulation. You shouldnt have to fight for them. A pilot puts in twice the amount of training and work experience than a typical CEO.

So having said that, i have no sympathy for a company that ********************s all over its people. Unions protect the company from itself.

I am not sure what your drift is, but if is caused by not having representation since Colgan is represented by a union. And from what I have seen unions do not shut down companies with strikes over pilots who failed check rides who still have their jobs, or that a crew member uses their rest time to commute. So you are telling me if the union was more powerful the accident would not have happened?

I not sure but weren't they still non union at the time of the accident? That's all i'm commenting on, the time line of unionization at colgan in relation to the accident. I am not commenting on whether or not a union would have or not prevented a crash or collapse of a company.

I not sure but weren't they still non union at the time of the accident? That's all i'm commenting on, the time line of unionization at colgan in relation to the accident. I am not commenting on whether or not a union would have or not prevented a crash or collapse of a company.

You are correct. The captain was hired in 2005. Well before the union drive at colgan.

Latest resources

Back