Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Super Pilots....I'm workin' with Idiots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you put a million monkeys into the right seat of a million RJs, eventually one will do something correctly.

I've seen FO's that can't track a radial 20 miles from the station.

At 1000 hrs. People like this are dreamers, not pilots.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that if you had 350 hours TT and were offered a 121 job you would turn it down?
Take the opportunity to share what you have learned as a pilot and try to make that pilot the best FO he/she can be. Sitting in the left seat getting pissed off and pouting does nothing for anyone. Attitudes like this is a contribution to why the airlines are loosing billions. Plus your FO right now might be interviewing you someday. Aviation is a small small wierd world. Its not rocket science, enjoy it. It will end when you turn 60.

Just wondering

Are "al" those low timers at ASA Flight Safety grads?

g'day

"all"

g'day

please tell me your are not insinuating that if you don't have a cfi and have not instructed you're a 'dick'...

ATR-Driver,,

No.

Rod may have acquired a bit more patience with his FO if he had spent some time instructing.

"Dick" (or was that "rod"?)...

flame bait...

lame bait!

can you say "tool"?

get back in the box with the other tools!

Do you guys think training has changed to help the low timers. When I was a new hire at my first airline, Trans States, half of my class could not make it through training. Mins back then were 1500/500 with most far exceeding the minimum. When I had 300 hours there is no way I could get through training there. After a furlough I went to work for another regional mentioned above, all you do in the sim is push buttons.

Like it or not, if you are a capt, then you are an instructor.

If you don't like what he is doing, then you need to give him some constructive critisism. Or if he is unsafe, go to pro standards.

Every one was an FO a some time or another, and we all got help/advise/mentoring from certain capts.

We all had 350 hours once, that's a given. When I had 350 hours, I was instructing and ferrying airplanes around. I was probably a hazard to myself and everyone around me, because I was a cocky as hell 18-year-old who could do no wrong.
While I can understand that being a 'good captain' is going to involve helping a first officer become a better pilot, I cannot fathom that being a good captain is going to require me to keep my cfi current.
I thought the purpose of flight standards was to ensure everyone was able to perform at a certain level before they are thrust out onto the line. Apparently, they turn a blind eye toward some folks, because I have already flown with two *captains* who sounded alot like the first officers previously described. *That* was scary.
Total time isn't everything, but while some of us could slide in at 350 hours and make a decent showing at this game, most of us would be behind the eight ball for a while. The same could be said of any hourly requirement, though I would hope that no matter what the qualification requirement is, the performance requirement would remain the same.

On another offshoot, I think the only 300-hour pilots we have picked up recently are interns. (At least, that I know of)
Fire away. (Fire for effect?)

Latest resources

Back