Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Thinking about a pair of Oakleys, but the lenses are polarized and know that this may cause the dreaded rain bow effect with the a/c windows.

Anyone have experiences as to whether it works?

Not only do they make rainbows on the windows they also make dark spots and EFIS/EICAS LCD screens can be illegible. I will never buy another pair to wear in the cockpit.

The windshields depend on the plane, but my experience with polarized glasses has been generally negative. Some of our older planes have CRTs, but the newer ones have LCDs, and if the polarizing filter on that screen happens to line up just the right way with the ones in front of your eyes, you end up with blank screens. Not good.

I'm very happy with my non-polarized Oakleys.

Yes, Oakley makes non-polarized lenses for almost every type of sunglasses they make.

Ask about them, they're usually cheaper lenses, too.

Yes, Oakley makes non-polarized lenses for almost every type of sunglasses they make.

Ask about them, they're usually cheaper lenses, too.

+1! I really like Oakley lenses both polarized and non. I always buy two pair, one of each. Polarized for home and the other pair never leaves my bag at work. Problem solved!

Oakley's are just about one step more Gay than Ray-Ban Aviators....Although, I admire your need to prioritize and research.

Get a Big Watch, maybe a Breitling like John Travolta, and a pair of Dave Clark head-smashers for good measure.

Oh, and don't forget your sticker for your Custom Made Scotty's Leather Flight Bag....You know, the one that reads: "Doosh".

Also, Sporty's has some cool knee boards you can buy that will be real neat to write down clearances from ATC ( OR: "Air Traffic Control" ).

These guys are Government Employees in big, tall, phallically shaped "Towers"... Who tell you what to do, and when, and how, to do it.

But, that's not important right now.

Get those glasses first....I hope I have been the "Wind Beneath Your Wings".

YKMKR

Last edited:
Oakley's are just about one step more Gay than Ray-Ban Aviators....

Get a Big Watch, maybe a Breitling like John Travolta, and a pair of Dave Clark head-smashers for good measure.

Oh, and don't forget your sticker for your Custom Made Scotty's Leather Flight Bag....You know, the one that reads: "Doosh".

Also, Sporty's has some cool knee boards you can buy, for just under a hundred dollars, that will be real neat to write down clearences ( from ATC , which is "Air traffic Control" )

YKMKR

But you see, I already have all that stuff, so I need something new to enhance my "coolness".

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back