• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully's landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being a hero is being ready. Public accollades for it is also a matter of opportunity. I personally think we are all heroes. I think what he did was special- I think about half of us , at best, could have had the same outcome. All of us do a job routinely that often would make most men sh!t their drawers. We just hang around each other and it gets routine. I'm glad there was a situation out there that reminded us and the public, about the importance of what we do- and nobody was lost.

If that means Sully gets to be a hero, then he's a hero. Human's and our society specifically, like to put people on pedestals. They also like to tear them down. I'm glad we have one of ours on the pedestal. Better than reality stars and socialites. And Northwest proved how long it would take before their tearing us down. I vote to keep Sully in the public consciousness as long as possible. I does nothing but help us to have the public view us in that light.

If you disagree- ok- but you sound like a hater for not getting the same accollades.

I'll cheers to hoping I never have the opportunity to prove my heroism that publicly. And the second drink is to always being ready for it----

Last edited:
Ok. All hail the hero.

"I got it". Why, exactly, did he get it? Just a quick question and you can go back to your bowing and scraping.

Got you figured out Radarlove. Your a new first officer and resent a Captain exercising a command decision. You don't have much command experience do you?

These guys who objected to Sully saying "I got it" certainly did revel themselves as having a lot to learn. Peoples opinions often say more about themselves than the people they are talking about. They didn't say anything about Sully, they just voiced the fact that they are not yet ready to upgrade!

Chuck Norris would have drop kicked those birds from the outside and gone back in just in time for the after takeoff checklist.

You guys do know that Skiles had very little AB time, right? I doubt he was offended by Sully taking the LGA-Hudson River leg away from him mid flight. Pretty childish to even be discussing it, really. Leave it to this effing message board to turn one of the best outcomes in aviation history into a poopy conversation like this.

Our E190 poster seems to be having an ego problem. Just maybe he with thousands of hrs in the AB and his FO on first flights might have a better chance of survival landing in the Hudson.

Having four engines available to me for most of my flying life had pretty much pushed any decisions like the one Sully made in mere seconds pretty far back into the cobwebs. He's a hero enough in my mind (over and above the obvious) for opening up a door of options that I doubt would have come to me so quickly. Of course, I probably would have created my own little Hudson right there in the seat while pondering the best place to land. And what better way to hide that tiny detail than by plunking it down in a body of water? For now, though, I'm fortunate enough to have managed to find a runway for all of my landings.

Latest resources

Back