• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sukhoi SuperJet dissapears on demo flight, 46 on board

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FAULT would be normal on the ground with the aircraft not ready to fly, but OFF is a selected position, which isn't SOP for any aircraft I've flown in any normal phase of operation. All this is baseless speculation, of course.

http://gallery.me.com/sdolya#102194/20120509_ssjroadshow_382&bgcolor=black

Photo taken by a ride-along blogger, apparently the day of the accident. In light of what's happened, the indication of that TAWS - Terrain switch is creepy as Hell.

Why is this not overly surprising when russian pilots are involved? May they rip.

Many cultures are not especially compatible with safe operating practices.

Macho behavior, nepotism, and other cultures where the people are just overwhelmed with the technology of even simple airplanes = fatalities.

As a long-time sim instructor, I can make the politically incorrect observation that some nations should really just hire pilots from elsewhere, at least until their own culture finally produces a substantial number of people that know how to manage technology and have a proper mindset toward safety.

I trained a crew several months back that were surprisingly high time, and in type as well, that had no freaking business flying turbine equipment.

And everything I know about Russian pilots makes me very uneasy about ever flying on one of their aircraft.

Knuckleheads.

At least it was probably over in a second, with little suffering.

I've done a little research on that very subject.

In an impact with high Gs, end result is that it's just like turning the lights out. No pain, no suffering, nada. It's the slower impacts at lesser Gs in which there is survivability (and massive pain) that are the worst.

Gordon Vette's book "Impact Erebus" about Air New Zealand TE901 back in 1979 explains it a little bit. Has to do with nerve endings and the transmission message of pain to the brain. If that transmission never makes it, one doesn't feel a thing.

God rest their souls. Senseless tragedy.

Last edited:
I've done a little research on that very subject.

In an impact with high Gs, end result is that it's just like turning the lights out. No pain, no suffering, nada. It's the slower impacts at lesser Gs in which there is survivability (and massive pain) that are the worst.

Gordon Vette's book "Impact Erebus" about Air New Zealand TE901 back in 1979 explains it a little bit. Has to do with nerve endings and the transmission message of pain to the brain. If that transmission never makes it, one doesn't feel a thing.

God rest their souls. Senseless tragedy.
I'll be sure to relay this information to the next nervous flyer I encounter on one of my flights. I'm sure this will put their mind at ease. :laugh:

The RRJ95 TWAS SYST portion of the panel, can display FAULT (Failure of Modes 1 thru 5) and be considered NORM (given certain conditions, e.g. not ready to fly, lack of some signals and so on). The TWAS SYS was NOT OFF. The TERR P/B on the other hand, displays FAULT/OFF on that pic. The FCOM reads (My russian is very weak) the FAULT indication from the TERR P/B is cause of a TAWS failure. What type? Who knows????
Let's not forgert these are "test aircrafts" and as such are different thatn production a/c's. BTW, this specific aircraft, 97004 was a replacement frame, brought in since the planned aircraft had an issue (specualtion as well).
Long story short, what happenned, how it did and why it did is ALL speculative right now. Pictures/scenarios from before, do not mean jack! Monday quarterbacking this now is useless.
In the mean time, condolences and prayers to the relatives of the deceased .
RIP Pete.

Latest resources

Back