• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sudent been flying ILLEGALLY - Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find it really hard to believe that an instructor would ever say that a student cert. would not expire. That's so basic. Whatever......good luck.

FurloughedGal said:
Midlifeflyer: Surprised that you actually knew the rules with respect to the endorsements required for solo flight by a Student Pilot and solo cross-country flights
[snip]
Why would you even state a gender? Your (invital) response would have had credibility if you deleted the gender issue. [/B]

WOW! Fascinating assumption that my use of "she" in a post meant that I was saying that any CFI who missed checking the validity of it's (I'm being careful now!) student had tp be a woman. That's a very, very interesting chip on your shoulder.

You mean you've never used a third-party personal pronoun in a post?

I'm new to this forum but not to online aviation discussion in general. If you search for the posts I have made throughout the years, you'll find that instead of always using "he" as a generic third party pronoun or using tortured phrases like "s/he" or "he or she", about 2-3 years ago I began mixing the gender of my generic pronouns.

Are you always like this?

First, I do not have a "chip on my shoulder." I thought that it was a very interesting pronoun choice, implications being that only a female flight instructor could make such an egregious error.

Second, I am a strong believer that gender shouldn't be an issue in any forum.

I believed that your response was meant to be a derogatory statement. Since you are stating that it was not, I apology if I offended you in anyway.

The statement above that the CFI is always held liable for student infractions, etc. is untrue.

The FAA considers students to be certificate hoders and responsible for all knowledge required under part 61 for their certificate.

If the student can PROVE that the CFI did not cover the required material, then maybe. If the student inadveertantly violates a reg, they can have enforcement brought against them.

FurloughedGal said:
First, I do not have a "chip on my shoulder." I thought that it was a very interesting pronoun choice, implications being that only a female flight instructor could make such an egregious error.

Second, I am a strong believer that gender shouldn't be an issue in any forum.

I believed that your response was meant to be a derogatory statement. Since you are stating that it was not, I apology if I offended you in anyway.

OH freakin relax for christ sake

Having had two woman flight instructors, I found the usage of the "she" pronoun interesting as well. It didn't seem to me that he meant that only a woman would make such a mistake. I figured that probably midlifeflyer has had a woman CFI before and that is why he used she, or just happened to choose "she" coincidentally.

Whenever I use pronouns in writing I almost always say "he or she," "him or her," or whatever. But it does get tedious.

This topic came up at an interesting time because my friend and I were talking about this today. He told me someone is trying to come up with a gender-neutral pronoun (but now that I think about it, don't we already have one--"it"?). Anyway, "politically correct" essays, articles, books, and etc., will usually not say "he or she" but will use he in one scenario, she in another scenario, and go back and forth; just like midlifeflyer did.

FurloughedGal did apologize for her conclusions so I think we should forgive her :)

Furloughedgal, take it easy. I probably am politically incorrect when I refer to my flight attendants as initially "she" and my first officers as initially "he" BEFORE I meet them - because generally, odds are that 's what it's going to be! Nothing wrong with that. NO offending statements were made. NO derrogatory intentions were implied by using gender.

Plus, I'm a woman. Even when checking in with ATC or talking to dispatch or maintenance it is NEVER offensive when they initially say "sir". It's a habit (we all do it, admit it!). I have even been confused for the flight attendant, not a big deal. It's humorous!

Life's way too short to get wrapped up in the gender thing. You're a pilot.

skyslug said:
Furloughedgal, take it easy. I probably am politically incorrect when I refer to my flight attendants as initially "she" and my first officers as initially "he" BEFORE I meet them - because generally, odds are that 's what it's going to be! Nothing wrong with that. NO offending statements were made. NO derrogatory intentions were implied by using gender.

Plus, I'm a woman. Even when checking in with ATC or talking to dispatch or maintenance it is NEVER offensive when they initially say "sir". It's a habit (we all do it, admit it!). I have even been confused for the flight attendant, not a big deal. It's humorous!

Life's way too short to get wrapped up in the gender thing. You're a pilot.

your pretty cool! honestly with only one or two exceptions I've found most women I've flown with have been like you. The ones who arent seem to earn a lot less respect because they are attempting to "demand" respect.

Latest resources

Back