• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sudent been flying ILLEGALLY - Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally posted by FurloughedGal (snipped)
First, I do not have a "chip on my shoulder." I thought that it was a very interesting pronoun choice, implications being that only a female flight instructor could make such an egregious error.
There was no implication. There was a completely unwarranted inference. The difference between the two is essentially an issue of responsibility. The speaker is responsible for an implication; the listener for an inference.
I believed that your response was meant to be a derogatory statement. Since you are stating that it was not, I apology if I offended you in anyway.
Question: Would you have made the same gender-biased assumption if I had used "he"?

No apology is necessary. I gave up being offended by people like you long ago.

Besides, your "apology" sounds a bit like a student I had once. After a ground session on aircraft power plants and magnetos, we took off to the practice area. Enroute, I asked him what would happen if the battery went dead, other than the loss of lights and avionics. He said "Nothing," a correct answer, but with a tone and a look that added, "I really don't believe that, even though you said so. I really believe that this airplane will fall out of the sky if we lost the battery."

Skyslug:

You apparently did not read the entire post or are missing the "gist" of the thread. What I found (initially) offensive is the implication that only a female flight instructor could make an egregious mistake. The writer chose to use the pronoun "she" without evidence that the flight instructor was actually a woman.

I have been mistaken for a flight attendant more times than I can count. This does not offend me and has lead to great conversations with numerous gate agents. Why would I consider this non-offensive? There is no implication of incompetence. And, when the gate agents observe flight crews every day, there is a higher ratio of male pilots vs female pilots and female flight attendants vs male flight attendants.

With respect to being called "sir" by controllers -- many times -- but I don't care. I do try to avoid calling a controller sir/maam because there are times when I cannot decipher the gender of the voice. A "good morning", "good evening", or "happy Thursday" is what I prefer to utilize, all of which suffice.

Midlifeflyer:

I thought this was settled. With your analogous statement that you infered "a tone and a look" regarding my apology, you reached a conclusion that is incongruous.

Additionally, the entire point of this thread is to help a student/instructor avoid any further complications w/ the FAA. I was shocked to think that any instructor could make such a mistake. The reason for the initial response was the fact that there are more male pilots than female pilots (at the Commercial level it is approximately 7 male pilots to 1 female pilot). Your statement would have been consistent if you had utilized "he."

I did instruct for years and found that one of the most interesting things about instructing (after everthing that transpired in the aircraft) was the complete lack of understanding of paperwork/required endorsements by other instructors. The information available can be obtained by an Advisory Circular from the FAA (please don't ask for the number, it has been a while) or from a commercial source, i.e., Gleim CFI refresher course has a thorough overview.

Moreover, these regulations regarding Medicals and Endorsements have not changed in years. I do hope that the CFI who made this mistake has reviewed the regulations and learned from the mistake. Another highly desirous outcome would be a CFI trolling this board, one who had the potential of making the same mistake, read this thread and reviewed the applicable regulations.

Take care & Fly Safe

Latest resources

Back